Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

My Monet Weigela Problems

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

These plants are beautiful, but I've noticed problems with the leaves having brown edges and tips. I bought one at a great local nursery. Every single one there had slight brown on the leaves. Is this sun damage? I'm starting to believe these need protection from full sun. Have any of you experienced this problem?

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

This is common with variegated plants, you are probably correct.

• ego45
    15 years ago

It's indeed need protection from mid-day/afternoon sun, but happily blooming and growing just in a morning sun.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

My newly planted Wine and Roses is also getting crispy brown at the edges, it's in full southern sun. Same problem?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Various things can case leaf scorch.

• ego45
    15 years ago

duncanmsu,
    '...in fact I gets better pink coloration when I grow it in full sun.'
    How interesting, all three of mine have no direct sun till about 2:30pm which last till 5pm, rest of the day they are in a bright dappled shade. With such lighting conditions pink coloration is the predominant color in a first half of the vegetation period while white tips/edges become truly prominent only in a second half of the season.
    BTW, while it blooms happily, I consider it as more a foliage than a flower shrub :-)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

2:30PM to 5PM sun would bake a plant requiring partial shade. So, in effect it is actually a full sun position - a plant like a pine wanting full all day light might I suppose react to the morning and evening shade - definitely if it comes from a taller tree or building looming overhead or nearby, to the side - but a shade-loving kind wouldn't be able to take the afternoon sun there. The sun hitting it in the hottest part of the day would cancel out the protection from shade experienced the rest of the time.

• Tim Wood
    15 years ago

My experience is the more sun the more pink and the more shade the more cream. Initially I was this plant would do well in full sun - as the first year it looked a bit tired. But this plant gets better once it is establised - it flowers better and the foliage is thicker and cleaner. I would not be afraid to over water, if in full sun, during the first year in the ground (at least here where we have sandy soil).

Of course this is typically with all shrubs, it take about year three to really know if a shrub is doing to good or not for your location. Too many people make rash statments about a plant after it's been in the gound 6 months or less, i.e. endless summer.

• Tim
    11 years ago

I just transplanted six Weigela �Wine & Roses� shrubs this Spring. The leaf color right now, (about three weeks after planting), is more green than purple, and I have seen a little bit of leaf scorch too on a couple of them. I agree with duncanmsu that it takes at least one growing season for any plant to get acclimated to the environment it is transplanted into. I really believe that with regular deep watering and feeding, my Wine and Roses Weigelas will look great in a year or two.
    I also transplanted a Ninebark �Summer Wine� at the same time. It is located in morning sun until about 2:00 P.M., when it begins to get shade from the house. It is actually faring better than the Weigelas so far. This is probably due to the afternoon shade.
    I really think that since the Weigelas are in a little bit harsher climate with the full sun, it may take them a little longer to acclimate. I am hoping that through the deep watering and some Miracle Grow liquid plant food I can get the Weigelas� roots well established before July. The summers here in South Central Kansas are very harsh.
    I am also hoping that what others have said about the Wine and Roses Weigelas� leaves getting darker as the year progresses is true of my Weigelas too. I guess time will tell.
    The one thing I am learning about plants is to be patient. It�s never a good idea to start digging things up and moving them without waiting at least one growing season to see if their health and growth is improving. As long as I see continuous improvement and new growth, I�m content to wait and see.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Wine and Roses Weigelas

• Ceramics1
    5 years ago

I just planted My Monet Weigela dwarf. The plant did not take the trip from an Ohio nursery well. When received, many leaves, on a plant no bigger than my fist, were brown and slimy and a few of the ones that were more green were falling off as I unwrapped the little fella. I am hoping he will make it and yes, mine has brown tips too. This is central MO and we had a long cold to cool spring, and as typical here, you wake up one morning and it's 85-90 already.

the plant was to be the star of a newly extended flowering shrub garden. I guess only time will tell. Hoping to see some new green growth.

• Tim
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Monet. Just plant it, don't over doctor it, and hope for the best. If it doesn't make it, buy another one. Sorry, I misunderstood your post. If it arrived from a mail order that way, then the nursery should replace it if it dies.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

I'd alert the supplier of the outcome of the approach to shipping that was taken.

• HU-918607422
    3 years ago

My Monet never really looks that great. I always think it’s dead in the spring, but it then starts to get some growth. It is now 3 years old and very small...approx 7-8 “high x 10” wide. I purchased from a nursery/ landscaping place. It is on the side of my ornamental Tree. Gets lots of afternoon sun. I have tried fertilizing it, but it never grows. I live in Temperance, Michigan.