Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iruehl_gw

Need list of shrubs...

IRuehl
12 years ago

I need a list of shrubs that can be placed in an above ground planter bed. Its about 4' wide X 15 long. It faces south and the sun beats on it all day.

I need the following....

Low growing for under the window, no taller than 24 in.

Taller fuller for sides of windows.

Some evergreen for year round structure,

Spring flowering

Summer flowering

I don't want all this in one plant, I want to make a good mix. I would like most to be perennials, I will do basic fill in with annuals. I don't mine pruning, I know there is no such thing as the 'perfect plant' But need a good fit. Thanks

{{gwi:29172}}

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

where is it.. on the wall with the electric panel???

or all around the house ...

so for a 4 foot wide bed.. you want a shrub.. that will never get bigger than about 2 feet .... or you are willing to shear it once or twice a year to keep it that size ... which would interfere or rule out .. all flowering shrubs ... correct???

my usual comment is that shrubs.. and conifers.. are planted to hide the foundation ... NOT!!! on the foundation ...

within 2 feet.. in my warped world.. is ON THE FOUNDATION ...

my best suggestion.. perennials.. skip the shrubs ... and conifers..

and think about a tree for about 20 feet out.. most likely.. just about where you were when you took the pic ...

good luck

ken

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ken, I had a thread in the tree section asking about trees for the spot I was standing in, lol! Still doing all my homework to find the best one. I don't mind pruning, I am always in the garden. I do plan on surrounding the house with foundation planting, but the bed, that runs under the window to the electric box is an ugly dirt patch year round, That is nothing to look at when sitting in the breakfast nook. thats why I am thinking about an evergreen shrub, and since it sits about 2' taller than the ground, I was going to have it a 2 level garden under the window.. :)

• karinl
    12 years ago

Junipers. Try the cultivar "motherlode" if you can find it. Maybe a blue rug type to go with it. Or Lime Glow; a favourite of mine, and not too fast growing.

Caryopteris. Cistus.

Best to check at the nursery; what matters is what they have, not what we think they should have :-)

KarinL