Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming Evergreen Shrubs

Posted by liz0202 Iowa (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 11:15

We recently moved into a new house that is surrounded by various evergreen shrubs. The previously owners had done a nice job shaping them but now they are getting new growth and we aren't sure how to keep them looking nice. Here is a picture of the main variety.

My questions are:
1) Is it okay to trim the new growth to keep the shape?
2) When should we do this? Is it okay to do it now in late June or should we wait to do a full prune in the spring?

I have been googling this all morning and everything seems to talk about full pruning and I think all we want to do is maintain the current shape of the shrubs.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming Evergreen Shrubs

Looks to be yew. Can be trimmed in early summer or any time about now. The new growth has faded from light to dark green so it's okay. A light shearing will tidy it up by getting rid of the uneven stragglers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here