Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning bush shaping

Posted by zuni Canada 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 11:18

I have a dwarf burning bush that I have led astray. Can anyone tell me how to prune it to regain it's most natural shape?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning bush shaping

Lightly trim the branches that are most out of shape.

Take care not to shear too much off of the plant, ... as the most brightly (fall) colored leaves will be those from the outer layer of leaves ... and shearing off that layer of leaves ... will make for a very unattractive shrub come fall.

The best recommendation I've seen for more extensive re-sizing is to trim the bush before it leafs out in the spring.

Check out the link below for more info on Burning Bush

Here is a link that might be useful: Truth About Burning Bush

o

If you've been shearing, and want a natural shape, start pruning it with thinning cuts instead of heading back.

Here's a link to info about the effects of shearing.
http://www.plantamnesty.org/shearmadness.htm

Below is a link to a website with pruning information. Scroll down for how to make thinning cuts or rejuvenate a shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

This is a highly invasive shrub where I live. I'd suggest getting rid of it and trying something else - perhaps boxwood.

o

How big will a dwarf burning bush get? I know I will have to prune but on ave. compared with a regular burning bush?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 21:43

It's hard to snip at the tops of these and get an attractive result. Better to cut the whole thing down low to short stumps, early in the year and start it over from the bottom.

o

July, I've learned a lot in the past 2 years. "Dwarf" burning bushes will eventually grow 4 to 5 feet. It is very hard to prune them and still retain a natural shape. Shearing is out of the question... there is nothing natural about it! Instead, if there is a broken, diseased or dead branch, cut it deep into the shrub, back to the trunk.
Memmet, my euonymous is a well-behaved little specimen that has not spread or seeded.

o

dads neighbor had one on the driveway .. that had a 5 inch diameter trunk .. for the first foot out of the ground ... it was at least 12 feet high ... and was reaching 8 feet to dads driveway ...

with permission.. he cut it about 6 inches off the ground ... and it regenerated itself within one year [i dont mean to full size .. just to a nice size] .. since there was no insult to the root system ...

and after that.. he took better care to prune it annually .. rather than rely on the neighbor ...

cut it down as noted above.. and it will be fine.. and if it dies.. even better... but it wont ...

ken

o

• Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 10:07

Ken, Your dad's bush is definitely a different variety. Sometimes the species are just uncontollable, so you must choose varieties carefully. I've had my dwarf variety for years and it is still only 3 feet tall. In fact, it has been such a slow grower that it has been a source of frustration. I only needed to prune it because of a few dead tips.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 12:38

More than one dwarf/compact form on the market, eastern nurseries continuing to select and introduce these (and new Norway maples, Japanese barberries etc.) despite the weediness of these back there.

Long-established 'Compactus' I have cut down to stubs twice in Island County, WA and had come back to nearly previous size within a few years.

o

• Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 12:52

bboy, a lot depends on location! Here in Canada zone 5, we have a hard time keeping things alive... buddleia for example, yet the same plant is an invasive nuisance in Seattle. (I have gardened in both.) Burning bush is not a problem here, but Manitoba maples definitely are!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here