Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shackle101

Needs hedge for privacy fence.

shackle101
11 years ago

I'm trying to find a good solution for a privacy fence hedge on my property line, and the problem is I have power lines so I need something that will get around 8-15 ft tall max. I want them tall (at least over 6 feet) but not able to become tall enough to cause problems. I'd like something easy to grow, fast growing, minor shade/full sun tolerant, and evergreen. I'm in South Carolina and we have mild winters so I assume semi-evergrees should stay green all winter given the winter is mild as usual, right?

I've been searching around quite a bit and I can really find something to fit all these guide lines so I figured I'd ask.

Comments (10)

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

How wide can they be, and how long a stretch do they have to cover? How much upkeep do you want to have to do?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

most anything that is fast growing.. will not stop at some magical height ...

what have you researched.. found.. and rejected ...

your state or county.. might have a soil conservation program.. that would be a great resource for .. see link ... it might be worthwhile to call them.. to get key words to find info at the link ...

a wind row .. for soil conservation ... is another name for a sight break ...

my soil conservation district even sells small plants very cheap.. at proper planting time ...

and another key.. is diversifying .. just in case some plague comes along.. you dont lose everything ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• shackle101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well as far as ones that I feel won't work:
    Arborvitae, American: tested didn't grow well.
    Cypress, Leyland: will get too tall, and pretty slow growing. Boxwoods: only get 4-6 feet tall.
    Holly hedges: May work provided they do reach 6-8 feet tall.
    Forsythia hedge: Not considered evergreen.
    Hardy Amur privet: Not consider evergreen as well.

The last 2 seem like good choices, but I'd prefer evergreen. With our mild winters I wonder if these will work for my needs though.

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

Question. What prompts the need for a privacy hedge? Unsightly view, trashy neighboring yard, yard that's just too open?

• shackle101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It will be roughly 50-70 yards or more of hedge. Reason for the hedge is to privacy and to dampen the noise from the street as well. So ideally it will need to be planted closely for thick interweaving.

• shackle101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any ideas out there?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Shackle, just noticed that your first post says you are in South Carolina. Sorry. I don't know if any of the plants I suggested will grow that far south. Another I have and love for its wonderful green color and leaf/shrub shape is Euonymous manhattan. A lot of people don't like it because they think it is boring, but for privacy and relatively quick growth, I think it is wonderful-and it is evergreen. It is trouble- and pest-free in my experience. It makes a wonderful backdrop for other things as well.

Let us know what you end up doing.

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

Perhaps your situation would be suitable for Osmanthus, both the less hardy, but fantastically scented sort with leaves similar to a Camellia. O. fragrans, or the hardier one with leaves like a holly.
    I am growing O. fragrans, that barely gets through the Winter , here in zone 7a.
    It gets enough shade to save it, mostly, from winterburn, but then, with the shade, it does not flower well. It is more likely to do better in zone 8 or 9.

• User
    11 years ago

Shackle,
    I'm in South Carolina too.
    Pittosporum if you aren't in the mountains
    up in Greenville.
    Alot of people say they grow fine up there too,
    but I'm down by Augusta, so I have no problem with them.
    They will grow slow the first year, but then they will pick up as long as you water them since we are having a real bad drought.
    Just trim them down if you want after they bloom
    in spring. I have lines in front of my house too.