Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Narrow hedge options

Posted by foolforoldhouses 3 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:37

Hello! Last year I planted several skyrocket junipers for a privacy hedge. Unfortunately, they are not performing well and I think I am going to return them before my warranty is void. Many in the conifers forum have warned me not to replace with junipers. I'm looking for any other ideas for this area. The max width is 4 ft. I was thinking maybe a small viburnum like "Blue Muffin". Or, maybe vines? The fence faces south...but the lawn chairs do shade a bit. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks so much for your help with this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Narrow hedge options

" ....they are not performing well ..." What was your expectation? I'm wondering if it was unrealistic. As far as I can see they look perfectly healthy and are growing well. Can you explain what you consider to be the problem?

o

You can't see from the above photo...but it appears they have tip blight...and some friends from the conifer forum said that you shouldn't plant skyrocket junipers because of the high humidity in WI. When I talked to the nursery about this choice for my hedge they didn't warn me about any of the problems. I'm disappointed to say the least...I do not want to remove them...but I also don't want to have to remove them years down the road when it will be a lot more difficult.

o

Here is another shot from one of the bigger trees...

o

Look into Juniperus virginiana 'Taylor'--but they're not cheap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here