Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestion for yellow summer bloom for shade?

Posted by jlcjlr 1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 11:46

Im planning a container garden in large cobalt blue pots and need an idea for summer bloom in yellow or yellow/white. Sacramento area north side yard is mostly shady with some morning sun. Planting plan includes: Camellia sasanqua 'Setsugekka'- dark green backdrop with yellow and white fall/winter flowers, JM in bright green maybe Aoyagi or "Emerald Lace, Kerria japonica 'Golden Guinea'- yellow spring flowers and green stems in winter. What will work for summer bloom in yellow or yellow/white? Can be a shrub or perennial.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestion for yellow summer bloom for shade?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 1:02

Maybe

Shrubs

Abutilon
Hypericum
Potentilla

Perennials

Geum
Hemerocallis
Ligularia
Oenothera
Phygelius

Or colored foliage instead of flowers

o

Thank you bboy! I'll try your suggestions and see which like the environment. This summer is all about prepping the site and sifting my ingredients for the pots. I hope to get everything in the place by next March. I've been snooping in yards during my walks to see what grows around here and think I've seen the Hypericum. I also saw a tiny 4" Abutilon at the neighborhood nursery which might come home today even though it is going to be 100'!

o

OK..............I looked on your member page to see what zone you were in, because a general idea of your area is necessary to determine what will be perennial or even grow. I'm stumped. Where is Zone one? Antarctica? LOL

o

Kirengeshoma palmata or K. koreana.
Eventhough it's a perennial, it has a statue of a decent size shrub and fantastic clean foliage all season around.

For the white, Actaea racemosa (early blooming) or A. simplex (late bloomer) will do the job.
Depending on how shady your place is jap. anemone (anemone x hybrida) may work as well.

o

i have wandering coreopsis moonbeam in similar siting.. but i dont know about the pots ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Not exactly yellow, but the chartruese foliage plants would look great in cobalt blue containers. How about Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola', one of the chartruese carex, or even Cerotostigma 'Palmgold'?

o

• Posted by jlcjlr 9b Sacramento CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 21:01

More great suggestions! I've updated my page to show zone 9b. Side yard is protected and hasn't frozen in the past 8 years. You've all got the vibe I'm after, blue containers, sunny yellow and white flowers through the year with varioius greens including chartreuse. It will come down to what I can find and what lives, then a few years to fine-tune the textures. The first acquisition was a Fireglow JM for the corner which is out - way to dark and somber in the shade. It will go elsewhere. Thanks to all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here