Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edgeworthia crysantha

Posted by shadeyplace 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 12:27

I bought a small one on line and it has rather large leave and beautiful bark. I just found another at a garden center and the bark looks the same but it is very tall, smaller leaves, on top and bare stems that look like there are very small green shoots possibly getting ready to sprout. Are there two different kinds of edgeworthia ? These bare stems kind of have little nubs all the way up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edgeworthia crysantha

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:24

Yes, there is more than one kind but that may have nothing to do with what you are seeing.

Not the hardiest shrub, give it a protected nook if possible.

o

Mine has chugged along fine for years and this year with our protracted winter dry period combined with a week of sub-freezing temps, this spring it had 1/2 of its flowers dead and did not leaf out. Until about two weeks ago. Go figure. I was sure it was dead and the only reason it was still in the garden is that I was too lazy to pull it out. So I'd be patient and see what transpires.

Sara

o

As with Sara, mine faired terribly, this Winter, but looks beautiful now. I think the one that normally has smaller leaves may be E. papyfera. Considered an extremely finicky, difficult plant. E. Chrysantha has been grand, for years, but will die of drought if neglected.

o

Thanks. It is in a rather protected place (or they are). the one came through this past winter fine except the #@$%^ deer ate the two blossoms that it tried to produce.

o

• Posted by SCMG none (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 17:27

Hi.i saw this plant growing outside an abandoned nursery a couple of winters ago and was intrigued by the yellow flowers so I snapped off a lower branch and took it home, dipped the branch in rootone, and stuck it in the ground on the north side of my house.
That spring and summer were very wet and the branched leafed out nicely and now 2.5 years later it is a waist high shrub loaded with flower buds (last winter there were a few buds but they fell off before they opened).

o

SCMG, where do you live or what USDA Zone are you in?
The reason I ask is because of the hardiness issue.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here