Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swisstech08

Shrubs to build natural hedge

swisstech08
9 years ago

Hi,
I live in colorado foothills, 5200 feet, USDA Zone 4.
I want to build a natural hedge around my property, 180'. What type of shrub would be suitable?
I'm looking for something that has "average" growth rate ~2' a year. The height should be about 4' - 6' and about 2' -3' in width.

Is there a more specific forum to ask this type of question?
Roland

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I'm looking for something that has "average" growth rate ~2' a year. The height should be about 4' - 6' and about 2' -3' in width.

==>>> you forgot to mention.. care free.... lol

nothing that grows 1.5 feet per year ... will stop at 4 or 6 feet .. nothing ...

nor stop at 2 feet wide ...

unless you are willing to shear.. all 180 feet up to 3 times per year ...

what i dont understand.. is what you want the hedge for... obviously its not a sight block ...

perhaps if you told us more about the idea.. we could give some suggestions...

or even better.. a pic ...

ken

• swisstech08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ken,
    I guess I should have been a bit less measurement specific, lol.
    Right now there is a 4 foot high chain link fence 1/2 way around my property which gives no privacy at all.
    Rather than replacing the existing fence with a wooden fence I'd rather plant shrubs, or some other kind of plants, to grow a hedge along that fence. If possible I don't want to remove the chain link fence as it keeps some of the friendly/wild critters out.
    Also, I would rather pick a plant/shrub/tree that keeps its foilage all year round.
    I don't mind trimming/shearing the hedge couple of times a year, exercise is good for the body, to keep the hedge to grow too wild. We all know about city ordinances, lol.

Roland

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I like having a mixed hedge so that if a disease comes along, I don't lose the whole hedge. I also like the aesthetics of having different things blooming and different colors and textures of foliage.

Juniperus scopulorum is an evergreen native to your part of the country. You could do a search to see about sizes of different selections as well as looking into if it tolerates pruning. If you are near the Denver Botanic Garden, it might be worth a field trip to see what they have that might work.

Here's a link from Colorado State cooperative extension for evergreens recommended for Colorado.

Here is a link that might be useful: evergreens recommended for Colorado

• drpraetorius
    9 years ago

Peking cotoneaster. Austrian copper rose (that was a popular rose with the pioneers here in Salt Lake). Some varieties of Forsythia. Pyracantha (personally, I hate them).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

seeing suburbia.. i am still having problems with the 180 feet ... or are your circling the whole property ... man i was picturing a straight line .... pix matter ...

if you see things around the area... snap a pic ... and it can be IDd here or in the name that plant forum ... and keep a sharp eye to how it is maintained ...

trust me.. the exercise you enjoy now.. can become a real heavy labor.. in the decades to come ... if you think you will still be in this house ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

You are limited to what you can select by virtue of your location and zone. Evergreen in mountainous CO is going to mean conifers. There are a good number of dwarf conifers or those that grow slowly enough not to overwhelm your size requirements any time soon. But it is also important to remember that the vast majority of these kind of shrubs will not take kindly to the routine shearing or pruning Ken mentioned above.

A mixed shrub border rather than a defined 'hedge' maybe what you need - an assortment of both deciduous and whatever appropriately sized evergreen shrubs will work for your climate. In other countries, these are often referred to as 'hedgerows' and while typically grown on a much larger scale, the same concept applies. The mix of plant material can offer flowers, fruits or berries, bark effect, fall foliage color and nesting and wildlife habitat.

I would always consider including a few native plants into the mix - they are location and climate adapted and usually attractive to local wildlife.

Here is a link that might be useful: native shrubs

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

Several of the holly varieties would work.