Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moisture Shady Deer resistant?

Posted by xxnonamexx NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:46

I have an area near my house where the dirt is always moist the area is 95% shady and deer tend to gather. I was looking for shrubs low maintenance not much upkeep for this area or an ornamental grass. Any help greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moisture Shady Deer resistant?

What zone are you in?

Location?

Watertown? Long Island? Big difference in plant material.

Would you say it's 'marshy'? Wet year-round?

Are you looking for evergreen or deciduous? How tall?

o

The deer would be harder to deal with than finding moisture thriving shady plants. If deer gather, your spot is wired into their brains

Here's a site to moist shade plants to give you an idea of what's out there. I have nothing to do with the site beyond finding it on Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer resistance is another story

o

In zone 7a I rely on the following shade tolerant plants that deer avoid:

Pieris japonica
Skimmia japonica
Ferns (any species)
Rhododendrons

Actually, most of what I grow has to be deer resistant, and there are lots of trees and shrubs that are options. I had a bigger problem with shade loving options and deer. How deep is that shade? Is it shaded all day? Ornamental grasses need sun. The clumping bamboo in the picture are deer proof but they do get some sun.

o

nandina, mahonia, sarcoccoca hellebores. and they do not touch my hollies...but they will most likely not have berries.

o

Mahonia, that is one shrub I have been meaning to add! Shadyplace, I was going to put holly on my short list but have read that some people have said that their holly is eaten by deer. Guess it depends on the severity of the Winter. I did notice deer eating some of my Japanese Holly this past winter, but I agree that Holly is NOT a deer favorite. But as you suggest, to thrive, holly does need some sun and don't think of it as a understory shade shrub/tree.
P.S., Japanese Holly survived quite despite the experimental munching by local deer.

o

Also check out buttonbush for deer resistance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here