Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abnormality on Bird of Paradise

Posted by Johnk39 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 13:27

Does anyone know what this abnormality is? It is only on one of the many red Mexican Bird of Paradise we have in our yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abnormality on Bird of Paradise

you might get an answer in the tropicals forum ...

one thing for sure.. it isnt a shrub...

there is a term for such.. in the hosta world.. and for the life of me.. its escaping me right now.. and i have seen it in conifers also ... crikey ..

ken

o

It's called fasciation and happens to almost all plants but no one is exactly sure why. Could have something to do with moisture, could be an organism, could have to do with temperature - I've heard all kinds of theories. Some plants fasciate as part of their regular morphology - Celosia (cox's comb) or Pinus thunbergii 'Ogi' for example.

Sara

o

thats the word i googled.. and couldnt get the right response..

OMG.... google failed... lol

ken

o

I just Googled it and it came right up! Another trick if Google isn't recognizing your spelling - go into Wikipedia and use their search bar. Sometimes that works - their algorithms are different. I once Googled 'marcescence' and nothing came up, but I just did it again and got 14,900 hits. Some of it depends on your own habits but if Google is worth its salt it would realize that you are a plant fanatic!

Sara

o

"One thing for sure.. it isn't a shrub..."

While you're Googling, Ken, try putting in Caesalpinia pulcherrima. It's a shrub or small tree.

o

Also try looking under 'Pride of Barbados'. ;)

o

I was expecting Strelitzia and was wondering how they could be growing in Arizona. I'm used to Bird of Paradise growing in Hawaii.

Mike

o

The trouble with common names!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here