Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Crape Myrtles & Reflected Southern Sun

Tim
10 years ago

I am located in zone 6b in South-central Kansas. My soil is a fast draining sandy loam. I am considering planting a Hopi Crape Myrtle and a Plum Magic Crape Myrtle on the south side of my house. The south side of my house has absolutely no shade until about 6:30 P.M. and whatever I plant over there would have to thrive in direct sun, reflected sun, and intense heat. Lantanas thrive as perennials on the south side of my house, but Weigelas scorch and stress. I included a link below to an article that says crape myrtles scorch when exposed to reflected sun, but that may just apply to Western Texas where this article originated.
Is there anyone who has knowledge and experience with crape myrtles, who could tell me if the two cultivars of crape myrtles I mentioned would thrive in these southern sun conditions in my zone 6b? Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtles Need Help in Western Texas

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how close to the house do you plan on planting them???

i googled your first plant.. which i thought said.. Holy crap myrtle.. lol .. see link

and looking at the pix.. and the size potential of such.. i would not plant it within 10 feet of the house ...

which would make the whole issue of reflected sun or heat.. irrelevant ...

foundation plants.. are planted to hide the foundation.. NOT ON THE FOUNDATION ... and therein lies your root issue ....

can you move them out away form the house ???? .. get out of the box you are in.. and your problem might be easily solved ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Ken. But I don't think that really answers my question. Although, I do appreciate your answer, because you have given me some more to think about as far as my planting options.
    The photos that you have referenced: were they taken in the Deep South? I ask this, because the Hopi Crape Myrtle and other crape myrtles will not grow as large in South Central Kansas as they do in South Carolina due to the colder winters the further North you travel. Many crapes even die back, sometimes to the ground, when the temperature drops below 15 degrees, which does make for nice natural size control. In addition to this, the mid-sized crape myrtles, such as Hopi and Plum Magic, can be kept smaller and still maintain their natural form through pruning, although I may have to do a lot of pruning.
    So back to my original question, will the Hopi and Plum Magic Crape Myrtles scorch under the conditions I mentioned before?
    Maybe the answer to my dilemma is to look for varieties of crape myrtles that will definitely die back during the winter but still grow again, flower, and reach my target height by mid-summer.
    Anyway, please let me know what you think?

• hortster
    10 years ago

plantingman, I have two Zuni crapemyrtles planted with a southern exposure behind mailboxes. They not only get all day sun but also our hot SW winds that have been additionally heated by a scorching hot cul-de-sac. They never have scorched. I wouldn't worry about scorch, even with heat reflected off the house, but in sandier soil be sure to keep 'em watered. And do consider ultimate size!
    hortster

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful crape, and it's exactly the size I am looking for. Does your Zuni die back each winter?

• hortster
    10 years ago

They have only gotten zapped to the ground twice in the last seven to ten years. They have also "tipped back" about halfway once which turned out to be a free pruning guide since the spot is a bit overplanted and they have to be whacked back every few years anyway .

Realize that Zuni wants to get 10-12' tall if a bunch of below zero and/or especially dry winters don't nip it.

hortster

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I spent part of one summer working in Mobile, AL.The building I worked in had crepe myrtles planted where they got reflection from a light building wall or concrete walkways. They had automatic watering and thrived without any scorching, though I wilted in the heat. I don't know the variety. There were also crepe myrtles planted surrounded by paving along several streets and parking lots in New Orleans.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA