Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina Firepower

Posted by jeanerz13 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:47

I bought a nandina firepower a few months ago. It still had some fall color on it. I see it in my garden now and I'm worried that I'm not seeing any new bright green growth. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I think there is less green than when I bought it. Maybe all the new growth is hidden under the old stuff. is there any reason it would get fall color in the summer? I'm just wondering if I need to do something or just not worry about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina Firepower

Fall color in summer is often due drought stress (to lack of water).

o

Hmm I've been watering it basically every day that it hasn't rained...Although my landscaper did tell me that he's seen nandinas be pretty hit or miss around here... guess I'll just keep it around a year or two and if it still doesn't seem to be doing well I'll just replace it with something else.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 18:26

Give them more time to get established. They are likely growing roots rather than new foliage. They are not the fastest shrubs to get started.

o

FirePower is pretty tough. Give it some time. Some of mine nearly defoliated this past winter from cold temps and wind. They were getting leggy too. I chopped them down to about 6" and they came back with nice low, bushy shapes.

My voles did do a number on some of them in past years after I applied a heavy wood mulch though.

o

Just wanted to add a picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here