Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dappled Willow (Hakuro Nishiki?) - leaves falling help!

Posted by ATekk 6nj (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 13:51

I recently purchased 2 Dappled Willow shrubs for the beautiful foliage and graceful shape and I just happened to need something nice and large for the back of a perennial garden.

I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with both of them. It has lost quite a bit of leaves (starting at the bottom going maybe 1 foot up on the branches). I thought it was maybe lack of water but from what I read I believe I would start losing the leaves at the top of the branches down if that were the case. In fact, the top of the branches look great, even continuing to put on some new growth!

Is it just an adjustment period and I shouldn't be worried or is this something more critical?

Thank you all for your help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dappled Willow (Hakuro Nishiki?) - leaves falling help!

transplant shock ...

water PROPERLY .. not too much.. not too little..

ken

o

Thanks Ken! Good to hear you don't suspect a fungus or disease. We did get A LOT of rain for a good two weeks and that is when I started seeing the leaves starting to drop.

What is a good amount of water for a Willow? I know they need more than the usual shrub but didn't know what that meant in terms of watering a week?

Thanks!

o

Water directly into the rootball.

The soil around that original rootball can be sopping wet, but water won't go sideways into the rootball that came out of the container.

o

Willows take a lot of water - I lost my first 'Hakuro Nishiki' because I had it on the same watering system as the plants around it and it simply needed more (I sited the second one differently!) Also, when plants are stressed (too much or too little water, for example), they generally drop the older leaves first, as they turn from assets to liabilities. Make sure that as you water going forward, you follow jean001a's advice. Once the root system develops watering will be less of an issue, as the roots are aggressive and will seek water where they can find it. They are gorgeous plants once you get them going, although you may have to really take yours in hand to make sure that it stays small enough for its space. Mine is only two years old and is at least 6' across, 4' high.

o

all the willows are yellowing and dying here,rapidly.14 acres of them.herbicide abuse and smartgrid tech.got smartmeters?

o

You what???

o

I find I have to cut mine back severely to keep the green and white in the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here