Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verigated Weigela

Posted by clmc 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 14:04

I have a verigated weigela. It is maybe 3'by 3'. It blooms most beautifully. Pretty pink flowers up and down each branch. I bought it because the pictures i have seen show it sort of draping..I wonder does anyone know when it will start draping instead of growing straight up? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verigated Weigela

it will cascade .... when the branches get long enough that they can no longer hold themselves up ... it is its natural shape ...

if you are trimming it.. then you are causing the form you are getting ...

a picture might change my mind..

ken

o

I do have a picture. But not sure how to upload it to this link. I have had it for two years and it is 3 1/2 ''high and

I have a picture of it, but not sure how to upload it to here. I have had it for two years, it is 3 1/2' tall and I have never pruned it.

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 18:31

mine took a few years to cascade...but it does cascade. i never prune it except to take out any all green branches.

o

im going to try and upload this picture
shrubshrub

o

hey .... you got the pic ...

super ... its so much easier than speculating..

probably next year ....

but i gotta tell you .. mine is about 6 feet in every dimension .... it is most likely going to start swallowing the porch behind ... but you will have privacy sitting in there.. lol ...

consider moving it this fall ...

link below towards the potential of all weigela ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I agree with Ken. Yours looks great, and it will grow quickly. Two years from now it could easily be 5 x 5 and you will have the cascading form you are asking about. I think mine would like to be 10x10 if I didn't prune it for size. If you want it to be low maintenance and as beautiful as possible, consider moving it over a few feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here