Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsohms802

crazy big burning bush

mrsohms802
10 years ago

I need to know how to control an out of control burning bush. When my husband and I bought our home 4 years ago, it was well on it's way to being out of control. Each year I have taken the hedge trimmer to it, except for last year. I had some health issues which made it difficult do as much gardening as was needed. Well, now it is about 8 feet tall and just about as wide.

How can I get it back to a manageable size? In the past, I have been careful with the bush since the cardinals love nesting and raising their young in it.

Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Comment (1)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Maybe take the hedge trimmers to it at the base? Seriously, that's the size it wants to be - any interim pruning is going to be a stop-gap measure at best. And if health issues limit your ability to garden easily, removal makes more sense than needing to hack it back to a smaller size every season.

FWIW, burning bush - Euonymus alatus - is a listed (severe) invasive species in KY anyway. There are so many more lovely shrubs you could choose to replace it with that would offer great fall color, still provide wildlife habitat and not be an invasive pest. Fothergilla would be high on my list.......