Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakeyjim

I want to trim a big hedge

lakeyjim
10 years ago

I've read the "how tos" but that's not my problem. My hedge (privet) is about 10 ft high. At it's thickest it maybe 6 or more ft wide.

What I want to do it bring the height down to at least 5 ft, maybe more to make trimming easier. There is no way an electric timmer (or gas) will work as the stalks are too thick. I envision something like tractor with a bar like they use to trim weeds along the road. The trimmer blade openings on one of those babies are way big enough to cut the stalks.

I even remember seeing a tractor-trimmer that could raise the blade and keep it level. That would be ideal but last time i checked, I don't have access to highway maint equipment.

Is there any kind of power trimmer with both wide blade openings and a bar that it 6 ft long? Like a two man manual saw, perhaps there is a trimmer with a handle on the end of the bar. (obviously protected from the reciperocating blade)

I can remember years ago trying to lower a hedge using a chain saw but it kept snagging and knocking the chain off the saw bar every time i tried.

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)