Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickima

What to do with this silly wiegela

vickima
13 years ago

This red prince weigela landed in a bed next to our main entry 3 years ago. This pic is from 2009. As an inexperienced gardener I had no idea that the Rosanne Geranium would get so big, nor that the weigela would try to stay away from it.

{{gwi:263473}}

After flowering last year, the weigela put on much new growth during our cold and rainy summer. Now it's out of control. I trading the geraniums for firewitch dianthus. I was hoping those long branches would flop more now that it's in bloom, but it's still hunching over towards the door. Doesn't it look silly?

{{gwi:263475}}

{{gwi:263477}}

I don't know if you can tell by the pics but quite a few branches are largely bare on the lower halves.

So what do I do with this? If I prune it back hard will it regain some sort of decent shape. If I prune back to where the branches are bare, will I lose all foliage and flowers? Is this just the wrong plant for that spot?

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

google 'rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs' ....

this type of shrub has to be beaten back to a manageable size... especially where you have it planted ...

once flowers peak .. that is the time to beat it back with a stick ... or saw ...

ken

• vickima
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ken. I have read about rejuvenation pruning, but the writers are usually referring to older, neglected plants. It surprised me how gangly this one got in a year.

Some articles I've read say you can cut weigela branches back by a third. If I cut some of these back further, where there's little foliage, will those branches put out new growth, or am I better off cutting a few branches to the ground and then pruning their length as they grow?

I'm getting ready to do the hack job as soon as the flowers fade.

13 years ago

think about it..

did it grow about 4 feet last year???

if you cut it back to 3.. and it grows another 4 feet ... then do you really think it will be able to hold itself erect.. or will you then have 7 foot canes flopping into the sidewalk???

if you want.. you could cut a couple all the way back.. and a couple at 3 feet.. but just keep in mind.. next summer.. to remove the 3 footers again ...

does that make sense???

buds are set in fall for next spring.. that is why you cut it in early summer.. so it can grow and set the buds ....

ken

ps: never fert a flowering shrub.. or it will swallow your house.. did you fert????

• vickima
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, yes, based on those pics it did grow about 4' last year, but nothing like that the 2 previous years. I didn't fertilize, and yet it does seem to want to swallow the house. From what you say, it sounds like the best thing to do is move it. There doesn't seem to be much point in cutting it back to stubs every year.

13 years ago

you would preferably move it in fall .. after the leaves fall off...

nothing likes to be moved in the heat of summer ...

i might trim it PROPERLY back now.. and move it in late sept.. or when the leaves change color on the trees in the hood ...

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I think it would look great in that corner. I love the red against the white, but it will need pruning to keep it in bounds. Here's my Red Prince, mostly unpruned:

{{gwi:263478}}

As you can see, it does get big and unruly. An Enkianthus might fit better there. It is more upright. Or the weigela, Wine & Roses, is more compact.

• vickima
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks ken. Yes, I'll wait to move it til the fall. It will probably take me that long to figure out where to put it. LOL

wendy, yours is lovely. I do like the shrub but it needs a place it can grow free. I moved mine to that spot a couple years ago after it got crushed by ice falling from a barn roof. I'm learning that the "just stick it there and see how it does" approach isn't always a good one!

• ditas
    13 years ago

I was looking for a Wine&Roses Wiegela & found this thread 'cause i have Rozanne as well. Like Wendyb I too like your Red Prince in that corner against your white wall ~ if he could be pruned down a bit!

Wendyb - I have Wine & Roses & am new to Wiegela - I have not pruned mine for fear of losing the buds formed in the Fall. Are there 2 Wiegelas in your photo above?
    I planted mine ~ May'08 season in a sunny south-foundation & has since grown tall & rangy w/ very little trimming. I love the burgundy foliage but wish the shrub would be fuller ~ Ken, any suggestion on how to keep it in fuller shape than rangy ~ I'll check out the *Rejuvenation of Flowering Shrub* you suggested. I actually won't mind the height as I'm trying to shorten some of the 3 storey side wall (have a walk-out basement).

TIA ~ HAPPY SPRING!!!

13 years ago

but wish the shrub would be fuller ~ Ken, any suggestion on how to keep it in fuller shape than rangy

===>>> shrubs are like children.. young and small.. gangly and teenage ...

and then look out.. maturity ...

only time will make it fill in ...

you can not change its genetics thru judicious pruning ... nor fertilizing ...

ignore it for another year or two.. or better.. enjoy it for what it is..

and soon enough.. it will need to be beaten back ...

ken

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I must have the same weigela as you, it was growing here when we moved into the house so I don't know the cultivar name, but it looks like yours. The plant has beautiful red blooms, just covered, even in a mostly shady spot with only a couple of hours of direct sun. And like yours, it is so gangly. I trim it back to shape after it blooms and usually have to keep trimming it a few times during the summer. I usually get a few blooms here and there over the summer too, but nothing like that first flush of blooms in the late spring. Mine would probably fill out better in full sun, but may be like Ken says, it just needs time to mature.

Karen

• ditas
    13 years ago

Whet my curiosity Dave ~ post a photo please, love to see this Wiegela popsicle you created!!!

• ditas
    12 years ago

Hi ~ I finally got to see Wine & Roses put on her show (this past 2 weeks) what a rangy-tallish beauty! So I'll wait another year before *Beating back down* as you suggested Ken ~ how much of the canes would be ideal to prune for a second surge?

TIA