Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with dwarf burning bush leaves

Posted by Green2014 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 14:42

Are these hurt by frost or bit by insect?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with dwarf burning bush leaves

where are you

when did it happen ...

is it a recent transplant?? .. how have you been watering it.. if so???

i doubt its an insect ...

did it show after the lawn was sprayed???

ken

o

I am in zone 5. It happened last fall and came back this spring.
thanks.

o

its a deciduous plant.. it lost its leaves for winter..

i dont understand.. how you way it happened last fall ... and came back this spring ...

it recurred on new leaves ...???

see ???s above ...

ken

o

Yes, it recurred on new leaves.
What should I do to heal them?
Thank you, Ken.

o

It is a new developed area, They are planted two years ago. It grew well and had beautiful leaves in the first year.

o

there are sprinkle system there. twice/day

Any suggestions?

o

An automated sprinkler system? How long is it on for?

Given that information, I'd guess the issue was lack of water. Euonymus alatus often responds to dry soil conditions with a browning or drying of the foliage. Typically, automated watering systems are not set or programmed for the best growth of the plants they are tending. Coming on daily or even twice a day for a few minutes at a time simply does not deliver the volume of water most plants need nor deeply enough to be effective. It will always be better to water less often but for a longer period of time so that the water penetrates deeply down to at least the base of the rootball. Depending on the situation, that might be once or twice a week for 20-30 minutes.

Personally, I think most automated watering systems are a huge waste of money and natural resources for anything other than lawns. They do not deliver the water efficiently, they are rarely programmed properly and they waste huge amounts of water to evaporation and/or run-off. Using a low emission system like a drip or soaker hose is a much better choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here