Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taffyfrench

False Cypress Sungold - root system

taffyfrench
12 years ago

I want to see if anyone knows about the root system of the False Cypress - Sungold variety...we want to plant 3, but they will be in very close proximity of a 3-inch corrugated drain tile that is perforated...what are the chances that the roots will grow in to the drain tile and clog it?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

its a conifer.. there is a conifer forum.. if you should wish to expand your knowledge base ... otherwise.. post where you like ....

whats the purpose of the pipe..

we might be concerned about septic lines/fields .. but lines are not perforated ... except in a drain field ..

so our best answer will come with you more fully defining the facts ...

also add where you are... and your soil type ...

another newbie.. WELCOME TO GW!!!!!

ken

• taffyfrench
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken...thank you for the very warm welcome!

To me, this is a shrub, so therefore I put it where I thought that it should be. As stated in my question...it is a drain tile...to drain water (it does have limestone surrounding it on all sides. :)

BTW...I put my zone in the Zone (optional) area and it is showing up on my page...AND it shouldn't really matter what area...it should grown the same where ever it can grow.

If there is anyone else that has some helpful info for me I would greatly appreciate your feedback as I have already bought them but am waiting to see if I need to return them if they are going to interfere with the tile.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

if it is a french drain to remove water from the roof.. i would not hesitate ... as it would be easy to fix in the future ...

if it is a septic field.. it would cost thousands to repair.. and i would not do it ... why even risk it ...

if you are in ground freeze zone .... and it fails while the ground is frozen ... then you might have great problems.. and large expense with mid winter repair ...

if you are in the NE where there is only about 6 inches of soil and then bedrock.. i would not do it ...

if you are not in ground freeze .. then winter repair on french drain problems are irrelevant ..

if you are on clay.. and this is the only remedy for water removal.. why risk it

if you are on sand soil... its a lesser problem ..

check out the link ... note the latin name.. and note that your sweet little babes.. have the potential.. in the decades to come.. to become rather large conifers .... e.g. the 15th pic ... do not make assumptions as to size based simply on that babe .. and understand that size estimates are at 10 years.. and at 20 they will be twice as big ....

you are welcome on the welcome.. but i dont understand the snarky response to every other question i asked... its like you want us to intuit the facts.. and provide a relevant answer ... by guessing all the other info we need ... i have tried to intuit soil, zone, use, and the future ... i can do no more ... my crystal ball has gone dark ...

whatever.. have a great day .... i have tried

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I'm not sure there's a need to overcomplicate this issue and I didn't think the OP's response was particularly snarky, either. Sometimes Ken gets a little carried away with rather immaterial detail and that can be confusing :-)

If the drain pipe is perforated, then I sure hope it is covered with a sock or sleeve as if not, slit will clog up the pipe far faster than any plant roots are likely to!

This is a pretty slow growing shrub and while the roots will spread, they will spread out slowy and are not particularly aggressive or water seeking so unlikely to be a huge concern unless planted very close to the pipe and adequate water not provided.

This particular cultivar of threadleaf cypress will NOT become a "rather large conifer". Even if growing for decades, it is unlikely to get larger than 10-12' tall and as wide and these also take quite well to pruning to keep size in check.