Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-blooming Snowball Bush

Posted by junie28 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 14:59

I've had a snowball bush for about five years now and it has yet to produce even one single bloom. I've tried different fertilizers and even transplanting to a different location, but nothing works. The plant is health and continues to grow, but does not bloom. Any suggestions or ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-blooming Snowball Bush

Snowball bush?? Which one??? There is Viburnum opulus 'Sterile' aka Roseum There is Viburnum plicatum plicatum aka Japanese Snowball. And, then there is Viburnum x carlcephalum aka Fragrant Snowball. Common English names confuse us because of the fact that Snowball applies to more than one cultivar. If you are uncertain of the cultivar genus and species, then do you know which of the common names apply to your specimen. Is it Roseum or Guilder Rose of Shakespeare's time? Is it from Japan, the Japanese variety? Or, is it the Fragrant Snowball bred by Skipwith and Burkwood introduced at the Royal Horticultural Show in 1940 but not brought into commercial trade until 1944 because of the war (WWII)??

o

LEAVE IT ALONE ... maturity alone will bring the bounty ...

transplant NEVER hastens bloom.. and in fact set you back ...

shrubs NEVER 'NEED' fertilizer.. too much fert.. and with a shrub.. that can mean ANY fert... can produce greenery over flowers due to all the food ...

but most important... flowering shrubs.. need FULL SUN ... for BEST production.. is yours in enough sun???

ken

o

Ken has gone right to the core of practical advice. I was backing into the practical. We have a Cayuga which, in its 3rd year from BB into the ground did not produce but one flower this season. I enthusiastically had fertilized it last fall and this spring. Wow! Great and abundance folige with huge leaves this season. Also, its Mother, a carlcephalum, has finally, after 3 years in its permenant ground site, really went full throddle this season on blooming with massive number of flowers---I did not fertilize this one. Yes, be patient. Viburnums are marvelously independent of our inpatience and of our over-enthusiasm to feed or tend. Just plant them in full sun (or mild shade depending on the cultivar)---and wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here