Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stolives

witch hazel

stolives
14 years ago

I planted a witch hazel last spring. It did beautifully through the summer and fall. Everything seemed fine through the winter and in early March I started wondering if I would see the yellow blooms this year or if I would have to wait a year or two. It was covered in buds that gave me every indication all was well. Nothing happened. Spring came and the buds did nothing but dry up. The leaves were slow to appear and sparce. About 85% of the shrub now appears to be dead and leafless. The few limbs that do have leaves appear to be healthy. I don't know what to do. Do I scrap the shrub altogether? Do I prune out the dead and live with a very lopsided shrub (if so when is it best to prune)? Is there a way to "train" the pruned shrub into a more balanced plant? Oh, also, I think part of the problem has to do with what looks like "strain or stretching" on the shrub's bark near the base of the dead areas. We had a lot of freezing and thawing this winter. Is it possible that the weather caused the bark damage and consequently the destruction to the shrub? Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)