Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to trim Gold Mop Cypress

Posted by sue_va z6 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 16:26

I have a beautiful Gold Mop Cypress that needs trimming. It was planted 7 years ago and is now getting too close to the driveway. It is about 4 feet tall and the same width, at the base.

What is the best way to trim it back, and when is the best time?

TIA

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to trim Gold Mop Cypress

one thing for sure..

do NOT trim it like a shrub..

prune it like a conifer

ken

o

Thanks, Ken.

Now I have another question.

How do you trim a conifer?

Sue

o

C'mon, Ken. Let's have some details. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to prune this particular shrub AT ALL without ruining its natural form.

Should this plant be moved rather than butchered, or is there a way to prune it?

o

sorry i was being a bit devilish ..

there is a conifer forum .... though i really dont care where you post..

the first step is to understand what you are dealing with.. rather than relying on common names .... your plant is a conifer.. not a shrub.. the pruning rules.. specifically ... deviate wildly ...

then with trees and conifers.. we have to find the annual growth rate ... and decide if this is something that is prunable.. or whether.. as rhizo suggests.. something that would be better off moved ... the hotlink suggests up to 6 inches per year ... now we need either a picture of where it is.. or you to make that decision .... transplanting would be done in fall or winter, depending where you are ...

then go here, for a general intro to conifers [there are problems with the website, since i dont expect you to download anything, they are irrelevant]:

http://www.britishconifersociety.org.uk/bcs/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=3

then go here for some thoughts on pruning:

http://www.conifersociety.org/cs/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=19&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

then.. if all that fails.. the peeps in the conifer forum might help .. and a picture

good luck

ken

ps: better rhiz????

Here is a link that might be useful: insert gold mop in culitvar name if the link is not direct .

o

Gold star, you devil.

o

Ken, sorry I didn't recognize your devilishness.

And I didn't realize that the question was one that might require a rocket science type response.

In most forums new posters are usually greeted with a little more friendliness.

Sue

o

Hey, Ken is being extremely helpful! He is a huge conifer lover and aficionado. I'd pay good attention to the the sites he has referred you to. About the only way he could have been more helpful would have been to board a plane and show you in person.

The truth of the matter is that conifers should not be treated like other shrubs. They can be ruined with improper pruning, not being able to recover their natural shape after being trimmed back to a desired size.

Mind you, some people honestly think that little conifer balls, cubes, cones, and other assorted geometric shapes are desirable. That's ok, but it seems such a shame to alter shrubs with such attractive and sought after forms. Lots of people disagree with me. In some instances, conifers can be sheared on a regular basis for the purpose of creating great hedges and topiary.

That's why I suggested he try to educate you a bit, and allow you to make a good decision. Prune to a natural form (if possible), cube the plant, or move it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here