Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

hard pruned my yews - can I prune more now?

Ruth_MI
10 years ago

So...I read all these lovely posts (here and elsewhere) about how YES - yews can be pruned back to bare, woody branches and YES - they'll grow back. It wasn't until after I took the plunge that I came across so many "maybes."

There are 14 yews planted around my front porch. They're almost 30 years old. They'd been trimmed a couple times every year, but still had crept up taller and wider.

I like having something evergreen around the porch, digging them out would be a pain, and replacing them would be costly. I decided I was willing to try pruning them and put up with ugly for a while. I didn't think about or decide to do this until early May or so, which I realize is later than ideal.

I cut them down a lot, but left the green front, thinking they might be OK as far as depth if I just did the normal annual pruning. Plus, this way they look marginally OK from the street.

But looking at them now, reality says I'm going to have to cut the fronts back at some point in the next few years, so why do ugly all over again (if they live)?

I'm seeing a few dormant buds starting to show a little green, but most of the bare wood is still bare. Will it weaken the shrubs to cut off the parts that are still growing "normally"? Would I be better to wait until late winter to do this? (If it's not a definite, huge difference, I'd just as soon do it now while the blooming hydrangeas and full hostas will be a distraction, and hope they get at least a start on some growth this year.)

The yews are on the east side of the house and in part shade. Thanks for any insights you can offer!

Comments (3)

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I'd move this message down. Since I didn't get a response, and the front of the yews needed at least a trimming, I decided to prune them back to brown wood where needed.

So now I have a mostly-brown yew hedge. Here's hoping it doesn't stay that way.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey ruthie...

i am betting no one replied...

as the post at the link was down about 4 posts.. on the day you posted ...

we used up so much passion on that one.. we were left speechless on yours ..

have a great day ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken - thanks for the link. I wish the GW search had a date filter. I searched before I cut the first time, and when I searched again last week, seemed to be getting only the same (old) results.

Maybe Zooba and I should have a "stumps to green" contest. :-) Zooba's at least have a certain architectural quality mine lack.

I'll see what mine look like come next spring and replace if I need to replace.