Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina variety resistant to powdery mildew?

Posted by mc510 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 17:25

Here in cool foggy Bay Area, my Nandina (probably 30 years old and came with house) get terrible powdery mildew. Are there newer varieties that are very resistant to powdery mildew? Or are they all pretty much the same in this regard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina variety resistant to powdery mildew?

I haven't ever seen one advertised as resistant. The standard way to deal with powdery mildew around here (I'm in Sonoma County) is to plant in full sun and try to allow for enough air circulation around the plants. You might try rejuvenation pruning them in spring. I've never had PM on my Nandina, but some of my roses, especially the Banksia, get it some years. We have enough breeze here that i think that helps to keep it in check.

Good luck!

Sara

o
RE: Nandina variety resistant to powdery mildew?

Rejuvenation pruning has given me a temporary reprieve, but before the season is over I'm back to powdery mildew. I've split off some baby plants and will test them out in my most sunny spot with greatest air circulation. But as I've been looking around other yards in my town (near Berkeley), every single nandina that I see is crusted with powdery mildew, even ones that are totally out in the open for sun and air. I think Nandina just may be fundamentally incompatible with where I live. :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here