Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssly3333

What's killing my Boxwood shrubs sections? see photos

ssly3333
11 years ago

I'm getting dead boxwood sections destroyed hollowed-out trunk of sections of my boxwood shrub. I have been trying for years to figure out what insects or disease are destroying many sections of my boxwood shrub causing large sections to die out.

Today I tore off part of the trunk of one dead section and found that the trunk disintegrated in my hand because it was dead and hollowed out. When I placed it on the cement, out came a hundred ants pulling out their larvae or aphids trying to save them. Are ants destroying my boxwood shrub? I heard that ants like honeydew that aphids produce and take houseing in scrubs and that the aphids do the damage. A guy at Home Depot thought it was mites, and I sprayed all my shrubs for mites, but it hasn't helped.

Please let me know you know what's causing this. I didn't know ants killed plants, and one should I do about it?

In addition, a section where my boxwood died, I planted a new Boxwood shrub that was about 2 feet tall about a month ago, and it's now just about dead completely. What did I do wrong? It got plenty of water and sun, and I surrounded it with lots of store-bought soil mixed with some hummus. I don't think the bugs got to it yet. It just seemed to have not made it and shriveled up.

To view pictures of the destroyed boxwood truck, click on the URL--once on the website, choose all three of the photos titled "Shrub Dead2" (showing dead spots in the boxwood), and the 2nd titled "Pic of Boxwood trunk hollowed" (look especially the second), and the 3rd titled "Shrub Dead." If it doesn't show up, email me and ask for a photo to attach.

Thank you so much for your forth-coming advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Boxwood trunk dead & hollowed out

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County