Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
monster lilac

Posted by diegojames Pa (6) (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 17:47

My blue lilac bush has always grown large, coarse, and very often malformed leaves. It also gets a strong case of fungus every year. This year I really thinned the leaves/branches out to make sure it would get good circulation. It's actually doing a little better, but it's still growing large ugly coarse and malformed leaves. I'm planning on moving this shrub to another location this coming fall or Winter before Spring. When I do that, can I cut the tap root, kind of like bonsai, to try to slow it down and have it grow smaller and less coarse leaves? The shrub is already trained into a three branch tree with mature bark bearing trunks. Would playing with it's tap root like bonsai kill it or help to lighten up it's monster malformed leaf formation. The lower and smaller branches grow nice, lightweight and well formed leaves, but the major stem lines again are these coarse and malformed leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: monster lilac

really need a picture to understand what large ugly coarse and malformed leaves are ...

should we presume you are referring to mildew on lilac when you speak of fungus???? again the pic will help ...

increasing air movement is suggested for mildew ... but that might help next year.. there is no real CURE for it this year .. its more akin to prevention ... full fall cleanup of all affected fallen leaves also helps ...

all that said ... some of th old time lilac are simply magnets.. and there is just about nothing short of chemical warfare for eradicating .. or preventing the problem ...

also .. google REJUVENATION OF FLOWERING SHRUBS on how to thin it properly ... if you havent already ....

it might be easier to research some of the newer less prone varieties.. and planting one as a replacement... and then planning on getting rid of the problem altogether ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here