Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pest on Holly has fine web ...

Posted by Hollee32 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 17:52

Hi,
We have a lovely holly. Recently, we noticed a fine cobweb across the front. Inside are black specs that look like eggs and then little caterpillars or worms. The holly turns brown wherever the cobweb is, and it looks like it's spreading.

I tried to get a photo, but all that shows is the brown/dying leaves and faint haze. You can't see the tiny eggs or little worms. I will post that though if you think it will help.

Does anyone know what it could be or how to get rid of it?

This post was edited by Hollee32 on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 19:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pest on Holly has fine web ...

with a population to make that much webbing.. there should be hundreds of the insects ...

check at all hours of the day.. until you find them ... they have to be there ...

it seems awful early for such... but you dont tell us where you are ...

maybe the link will get you on the right track ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks. I will check again tomorrow.

This is in PA.

o

I have found the same thing on a blueberry, a viburnum and a heptacodium. Never saw anything like it before and what's the deal on these three unrelated and quite far apart in my yard shrubs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here