Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillyluis

Favorite shrubs?

jillyluis
12 years ago

We are pretty much starting from scratch in our yard and would love some advice and some favorites. Here's a bunch more info, if that is helpful, if not, I'd love to just hear some favorites.

We have areas with all types of sun: full, part, and deep shade in zone 6A.

The soil quality is pretty good (pH around 6-6.5), good amount of organic material, good nutrients)

The soil does tend to be dry, and I tend not to water (I can do it to establish the plants, and maybe put in irrigation in part of the garden if I love the plant enough e.g. hydrangeas)

Our yard is pretty small so nothing huge (especially width wise, tall would be great for screening purposes)

I envision a mixed border with mostly various shrubs/small trees

Wish list (in decreasing order of importance (I realize I can't have it all!)

1) Pest resistance (the three big things I love in our yard are all being attacked by pests: we have winter moth in our jap maple, wooly adelgid, and terrible scale on our hydrangeas)

2) Low maintenance (I'm ripping out forsythia and Montauk daisy's because the pruning is driving me crazy. I'd rather not prune, but once a year is probably okay)

3) Year round interest/beautiful foliage with nice textures

4) Nice flowers (preferably not white or yellow...red, pink, purple, blue, are great)

5) Screening (for two of the areas)

Thank you so much!

Comments (6)

• kimcoco
    12 years ago

While they don't qualify for everything you list, here are my suggestions:

Sweetspire 'little henry' has elongated white flowers, I know...you said you didn't want that...but this is a nice little shrub that does well in sun or shade. I have bright green foliage right now, ready to flower, and in fall the foliage is a nice rusty color.

Smokebush Golden Spirit is pretty amazing in full sun, and would probably do better in your zone than mine. Stunning chartreuse foliage in summer, and smokey plumes. I had this as an upright tree form, but it died back to the snowline this past winter and now it's growing as a shrub, but it's a FAST grower.

Pieris "forest flame" or "mountain fire"?? I forget. Slow growing, but evergreen, interesting foliage, nice bright red new growth, don't put in afternoon sun, it won't be happy.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I love native viburnums and look for ways to incorporate them into appropriate spots.

• Cher
    12 years ago

Ninebark Diablo, gorgeous burgundy foliage, flowers pink. The foliage is gorgeous. Center Glow is another gorgeous one in this family and the flowers are darker, almost red.

Sambucus Black Lace. Gorgeous dark foliage, flowers pinkish eventually turning white, who cares I have it for the foliage. The look of a Japanese Maple.

The above 3 are the favorites in my yard, grow well and I love the colored foliage.

Hydrangea Limelight is my favorite here, but I also like Quickfire and it blooms earlier starting white and changing to pink shades.
    Cher

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

jillyluis - regarding the doomed Forsythia. Is it too late to suggest that you stop pruning it? They don't actually need it. Every few years you can take out some of the very old wood but really it is not necessary to touch them at all most years. On the other hand, if you are pruning because it is too big for its postition, by all means dig it up. They are incredible easy to propagate - just shove some twigs in the ground - so you can have Forsythias wherever you like.

• jillyluis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions! I am very excited about the ideas!!! , and Flora, thanks for the thought about the forsythia, but you hit the nail on the head...the forsthyia are just too huge. They are in our very narrow side yard and taking over the whole thing

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Forsythia root where they touch the ground. That's why they get so big. Ninebarks are wonderful, but the OP didn't want anything wide, and they are indeed very wide. Some viburnums are narrower than others--V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' has remained relatively narrow for me. For berries, you'll need another dilatum cultivar, and 'Asian Beauty' might work; it's tall but also relatively narrow. V. nudum 'Winterthur' stays pretty small--5-6 feet-and is the last viburnum to bloom in my yard. You'll need another clone of V. nudum to get the lovely berries which start out cream, turn to pink and then to black.

Consider some of the tall grasses: Erianthus ravennae and some of the Miscanthus--I think 'Morning Light' is the loveliest and most graceful.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022