Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a solo shrub/tree to replace the Japanese maple

Posted by green_go z5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 18:09

This past brutal winter killed my red thread-leaf Japanese maple.
I need to replace it with something, but I have no idea what to choose. I don't want another Japanese maple - it is too fussy and unreliable in my climate. I need something that is slow growing and will not outgrow its space quickly and also will contrast nicely with Bird's nest spruces and blue hostas.
Here is the picture of the corner with dead Japanese maple still there nested between 3 spruces. The area is facing East, so it gets all morning sun until maybe 1 PM. Any advices?
 photo DSC02937_zps0ca9acd8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a solo shrub/tree to replace the Japanese maple

You could look into a Black Lace Zambucus. Those can die back each year but will still get quite large. Mine took about three years for it to hit its stride, and now it is beautiful every year. It can be pruned to a tree form. I think it was known as the Japanese maple of the north.

Or you can also try to find a standard physocarpus which appear to be more readily available these days. If you want to stick with the dark or reddish/purple leaf colors.

o

Try a small weeping pea tree (Caragana)

o

Green,
You know what would look awesome there?
A purple leaf sandcherry shrub.
Wow! That would look gorgeous there.
I wish I could grow them in zone 8, but it's too hot here.
My girlfriend in zone 8, in PA, has one, and it's a winner.
It won't grow too big either, and it's an eye catcher, I don't know what I like better, the fllowers in spring, or the purple foilage all summer.

o

PA has a zone 8????

single leader de groots spire .. see link ... single leader is imperative ...

i would want a strong vertical there

could we see a pic of the whole side of the house ... do your beds all look shrimpy as compared to the height of the house???

you give us a pic of the spot... and then ask us for ideas .. well??? ... we have to see the whole.. to give inspired ideas ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here