Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deutzia gracilis Nikko

Posted by angel54 z5 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:24

I have 3 Deutzia gracilis Nikko in my front landscape. They were put in 3 years ago. This past winter they didn't do too well and I took my pictures to the nursery that they were purchased from. I was told it was such a harsh winter that it is normal.

Told me to fertilize with Miracle Grow every other week. They do seem a bit fuller, but want to know if they look like I should replace them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deutzia gracilis Nikko

Those aren't Deutzia they are Pieris...

o

Hmmm Then the nursery didn't give me what I asked for. I had never seen either one.

Do you think they will survive?

o

I would like to hear from someone in your zone. New foliage on many Pieris is red/pink/bronze so it looks like you have a lot of new growth, which is good. Google 'Pieris' and 'Deutzia Nikko' and read up a bit - you will see that they are completely different plants.

Sara

o

And they appear to be planted MUCH too close to the house.

o

Your pieris looks lovely to me. If you do move it, and it does seem to be too close to the house, give it plenty of shade, well draining soil, and lots of mulch. It likes air to its roots, so I would need to use soil conditioner in my soil, it wants acidic soil, so you could also add peat moss if your soil isn't acidic, and keep its roots cool with mulch. If you fertilize I would use holly tone, but you may not need to fertilize. You will likely have fewer insect problems if you don't push too much new growth. I would wait until very early fall to move it and certainly not fertilize it until it settles in for a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here