Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Golden Threadleaf Flasecypress

Posted by chueh 7B GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 19:53

I have seen Golden Threadleaf Falsecypress always with bright golden color appearance even when they are young. I have tried searching for it as a smaller size in nurseries, yet both the regular sized and the dwarf type at the local nurseries I have been to did not look golden or even chartreuse but green. I was told that the regular size (mature 5-6 ft tall) were goldener than that of the dwarf and as they grow both would become goldener. Still the dwarf kind wouldn't be true golden but chartreuse.

I searched online to see if the new growth and the old produce different colors. Yes, the nursery guy was correct. As they grow, they get goldener. However, as I see the regular size kind at the nurseries, they were very green, which is not what I want. Will they become golden golden as I see from some landscapes? This provokes another question: same cultivars from different nurseries and regions look different. I understand that every plant is slightly different even the same cultivar, but it never can be so jumpy from golden to green???

What's your take on that? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Golden Threadleaf Flasecypress

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 22:42

Golden clones situated for a long enough time in sun should be gold regardless of size. It is true Sawara cypress is apparently quite plastic so you will see variation within the same cultivar, with position on stock plant having some effect on growth of propagules. Hence 'Filifera Aurea' and 'Filifera Aurea Nana'. But an unshaded 'Filifera Aurea' ('Filifera Aurea Nana') in a one gallon pot should be quite metallic yellow. 'Golden Mop' is less apt to burn in hot sun but less yellow. You see similar combinations with other kinds of trees and shrubs, for instance yellow forms of boxelder and elderberry - there is a more yellow but sun susceptible golden form and a burn resistant but less yellow cultivar of each grown.

o

bboy gave you the answer ...

but if you want to be further enabled as to CONIFERS.... you might want to visit the CONIFER forum ... there are sooo many options.. outside of the general offerings of local stores .. especially bigboxstores ....

the key is full sun ... for full color.. subject to your location .... of which some peeps in the CONIFER forum might be more attuned ... to GA or more southerly areas ...

what i think bboy was trying to say ... with all those fancy highfalutin words ...is you dont really know how or where potted stock was grown.. so its color might be off ....

and do note that some conifers have winter yellow color.. and then green for summer.. but that should not be the issue with the CONIFERS you are talking about ...

ken

ps: did you notice the key word in CAPS... lol ..

o

Thanks both to bboy and Ken. Ken, your CAPS of CONIFER confuse me, LOL!!!!

o

Ken is just suggesting STRONGLY you visit the conifer forum. In fact, as I understand computer manners, he is YELLING his suggestion. What you cannot see is the smile on his face.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here