Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red twig dogwood leaf spot

Posted by nuggetandnibbles 7/VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 19:58

I have a red twig dogwood that has spots on its leaves. There is some leaf drop & leaves turning red (even though it's summer). We have had an unusually wet spring & summer here in humid VA. Is it septoria leaf spot, anthracnose, other? Can I leave it be or do I need to treat it to help it survive? Will it spread to a nearby flowering dogwood tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: red twig dogwood leaf spots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red twig dogwood leaf spot

PS - I think the holes in the leaves are due to Asiatic beetles which I have been hand-picking off at night when I remember to do it.

o

is it a recent planting.. this spring???

the whole point of this plant is.. wait for it.. its red twigs.. IN WINTER ...

i really wouldnt spend much time worrying about what it looks like ... in summer ...

and but for lack of water on a transplant.. if you figure out how to kill it.. let us know ...

it is.. in my experience.. completely bulletproof.. i would not waste a lot of time worrying about it.. especially with your rain ... and after getting established.. EVER ...

all that said.. hunting bugs is therapeutic.. nothing wrong with that ...

just reread your facts.. no clue about the other dogwood ...

ken

o

It is most likely Septoria leaf spot which is very common to shrub dogwoods and aggravated by your current weather conditions. Generally not considered to be a particularly harmful problem - more cosmetic in nature than not. Could affect the tree dogwoods as well although nothing near as debilitating as anthracnose.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread on dogwood leaf spot

o

Whew, I'm glad it's not serious. I planted it last fall for winter interest. I try to plant low maintenance plants..."bulletproof" sounds just about right to me! Hunting bugs & therapeutic don't go together, for me at least. Pickin' those nasty brown beetles gives me the heebie jeebies but I can't stand it when they ruin a plant. They are decimating my black & blue salvia, those rascals. Last year it was the joe pye weed. Thanks, Ken & gardengal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here