Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plaidbird

pnw very old shrub id

plaidbird
10 years ago

I've always wondered what shrub this is. Doesn't seem to be a weed since this is the only one I've ever noticed, though it seems like I should see one now and then in this old neighborhood. I've not seen it for sale either and I've been gardening a very long time. So I guess I should finally ask and it's blooming now.

It spreads similar to a raspberry plant, but faster. If trimmed to the ground in spring it gets up to about 6 feet or maybe 8 feet by fall. If not trimmed the next years growth climbs further up. It's truly a force to be reckoned with, but does soften the city sounds and fill the back corner of the yard in a sort of pretty way. Does not seem to seed anywhere so that's good.

The house was built in 1891 or before, and this seems to be part of the original plantings since it fits with other choices they made and fits their layout. Obviously that's a guess. Please ignore the bamboo poles there on the lower right.

I'll ad one more picture.

Comments (8)

• plaidbird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what happens if left to grow.

This got away from me when it went over the fence to the neighbors side. I keep trimming my side but I need a strong helper to hold and pull a rope attached to it when I cut the main branch there. The darn thing is too heavy for me and the people over there don't care that it's growing obviously, but I'm pretty sure having it fall over there would be a problem.

Anyway, showing you one of my garden shames does show the structure of the plant well.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Sorbaria.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

That's what I thought, too, except that I've never seen a Sorbaria with a trunk like that! I've only seen S. sorbarifolia and its cultivars. Would this one be S. arborea? The flower looks exactly the same. Member of the rose family - the new foliage looks just like new foliage on many roses.

• plaidbird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent ! Thanks guys.

I started looking last night to find more, now with a name to start. Your right formandfoliage, all the first ones I found are very small in comparison. Sorbaria arborea seems to be the right direction. Then I ran into the name change, since these species were formally included in the genus Spiraea. Went down that path and read parts of a paper about which plants froze and to what extent at Harvard the winters of 1942 and 1943 ...still Spiraea then.

Anyway, I've been digging out old books and going various directions on the web comparing the various descriptions. It's been interesting that I keep running into such a mix of languages on the web. This is a well traveled plant. Right now I've decided this is most likely Sorbaria kirilowii . Height of the plant being the main factor, but knowing the same plant can vary by region and this would not be the first time our PNW weather gave a plant an advantage in size.

The photo I posted shows the top of the 6 foot fence and that run away branch is about 6 or 7 years old ? I know one friend has been telling me he will help get it trimmed for three years now but we get distracted. You know how that can happen. Looking out back this morning and guessing the height of the current tallest group of trunks I think they are about 18 feet conservatively. They're probably at about 15 years since I whacked them down. Thus the 20 to 26 feet height noted for Sorbaria kirilowii , at 25 to 30 years of age makes the most sense. And the leaves seem to match what photos and descriptions I can find.

Best part ? I find I'm more relieved than expected to know for sure this is not a weed because I would have kept it anyway. It serves it's purpose beautify where it's at. Still seem odd to not see others growing in the neighborhood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sorbaria kirilowii

This post was edited by plaidbird on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:34

• plaidbird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha.. found one page from last night. Check this out . What do you think ? Strange huh.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SOKI

This post was edited by plaidbird on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:29

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Look like you have it nailed. Interesting...it's certainly unusual! I have a real love/hate affair with my S. sorbifolia. The new growth and the flowers are stupendous but the suckering is unbelievably annoying. It is a real thug and I think its days are numbered....

Sara

• plaidbird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, plants like this certainly drive home the message ' Right plant, Right place', which comes after only 'Start with good soil'. :)

Sorry your smaller one is giving you a hard time Sara. Perhaps it wants a different spot to show it's true beauty ?

My old gal and I have been together a little over 40 years now, and we've each made some compromises for sure. This year she is truly shinning. The neighbor finally removed a badly placed HUGE tree. So with this new sunlight I'm seeing a long succession of blooms. The third flush is starting to fade, but there seem to be some blooms all along. It will be interesting to see how far through the season this new extra blooming lasts. In fact this is undoubtedly the reason I finally decided it was time to learn her name. Paging through my larger garden books off and on, trying to spot the plant over the years had not been reveling.

Come to find out the height I have allowed during the last years is a very good thing now, as it was about three weeks earlier in the season, before there were enough leaves to help shade my back porch, which became like a greenhouse with no vent, and my outdoor sitting area was too hot and bright to relax or see a book. Rather impressive given this plant is towards the back of the lot.

Since this is deciduous, these areas do have sun during the fall and winter when it's wanted. Add the fact that this plant also completely blocks a back storage corner with weird large garden items during the time when one is out there to see it, and the beautiful foliage and blooms, I can't think of a more perfect plant for it's place.

Thanks again all.

Pam

This post was edited by plaidbird on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 1:05

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

The problem with S. sorbifolia is its suckering habit. I'm not sure what would be the right place for it in a garden. I thought by restricting its water (I use in-line drip tubing, and I circled the plant twice at different circumferences and there is no water within about 10' of that) I could restrict its girth but that only lasted so long. It's been in about 12 years and now is a thug of the first order. It is a real love-hate affair - as I noted, the new growth and the flowers are gorgeous. But we've now entered the eight months of the hate part of the affair and I may not survive it. Correction: IT may not survive it!

Yours looks gorgeous. Glad you were able to figure out what it is.

Sara