Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Rose of Sharon from cutting

Posted by shw104 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 20:35

I am attempting to propagate a Rose of Sharon from a cutting. The branch was approx. 1/3" in diameter and 24" long. I simply placed the bottom 8" in water two weeks ago. It has kept all of it's leaves and it appears small roots are starting to grow out of the branch. they are all very small at the moment.

Is it possible to have success with this method? how long should I wait until before planting into the ground? Is there anything else I can do to help the bush take root?

Thanks!
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Rose of Sharon from cutting

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 14:02

While this isn't the preferred method and probably not the easiest, if you get the cutting to grow roots and can successfully transplant them, it should work. This plant is usually very easy to propagate. There are two main disadvantages to growing cuttings in water. It's extra work to have to change the water out regularly and to have to plant the cuttings anyway when roots develop, but the real problem is that the roots that develop in water are much more brittle and much less able to function properly when planted in soil. It's easier to grow almost all types of cuttings in a breathable medium (potting mixes, pearlite, etc).

Planting your cuttings out soon will allow the the cutting to develop more well adapted roots and lesson the likelihood of rot.

An easy way to find the best way to propagate various types of plants is to google the scientific name (in this case, 'Hibiscus syriacus') along with the word 'propagation' or (in the cases you know which general method you want to use) 'seed', 'cutting', 'layering', or 'graft'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here