Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kousa Dogwood didn't flower this year

Posted by bogey123 NJ 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 20:40

About 3 years ago we planted a kousa dogwood and it flowered each of the last two years but didn't this year. Does anyone know why this might have happened? The plant is growing nicely and seems to like the spot where its planted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kousa Dogwood didn't flower this year

Stress or drought the previous year can cause a poor showing of flowers. I'd keep it watered and fertilized this year, and hope for the best next year. For the record, after a great bloom in 2006, my kousa didn't put up much of a show this year, either.

o

• Posted by triciae Zone 7 Coastal SE CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 17:11

I have a kousa 'Samaritan' that's very young & hasn't flowered yet. But, I've noticed around Mystic that the kousas are not blooming as heavily as the past two seasons. In 2005 & 2006, the dogwoods here were loaded with blooms...almost covering any green of the leaves. This year, the trees around are, maybe being generous, about a quarter covered with flowers.

That's now 3 northeast locations reporting in with less than stellar kousa performances.

Tricia

o

Thanks for the input. I don't think the kousa was stressed last growing season or so far this year. It gets enough water as its irrigated. Its also in a protected area in the rear of my home. I don't think I fertilized it last year and will give that a shot. The plant otherwise appears to be very health and is growing nicely.

o

Let me join the club.
Both of mine (as well as other kousa in a neighborhood) do/did not performed well this year.
They bloom, but at least at the half rate of the last year.
Similar thing happened in 2004 if I recall it correctly.

o

Mine too. Last year, there were so many flowers and berries that the branches were weighed down under the fruit. This year, only a few flowers. They have put on a lot of new growth, though.

o

Me too,, had good bloom last year, but sparse this year! No drought, good growing spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here