Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
boxwood problems

Posted by mmbuffny (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 08 at 21:24

I am new to gardening and purchased 3 boxwoods---Buxus green mountain--- and placed acid loving plant food in the soil. It turned half of the tree yellow and killed the leaves. I later read that these olants like the soil slighty alkaline. I then placed lime in the soil and fertilized it. Did I kill these poor trees or can they be saved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: boxwood problems

Lime takes a while top react but hydrated is the fastest acting. Give it time. Just make certin you water.

o
RE: boxwood problems

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 23:38

A photo would help us to know if they might recover. Boxwood grows so slowly, if you've lost a significant amount of foliage it could be some time before it's replaced. Without seeing them, I can only guess but I suspect your boxwoods were either suffering from transplant shock or fertilizer burn. I don't think you could have altered the soil ph enough with 'food' for acid loving plants to cause that much damage that quickly.

Boxwood are fairly adaptable to soil ph anyway, and often thrive in soil on the acidic side - I'm not sure where you would have read they prefer alkaline.

If you have soil with average fertility, your shrubs may not require fertilizer, or at least may not require it for several seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here