Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassboro

Companion plants for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux

grassboro
12 years ago

I am looking for companion plant recommendations for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux that I plan on using in foundation plantings in the front of my house. They will get west sun from noon to mid afternoon. Looking for something smaller that could go in front of them as well as something that could go along side of them.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

5 days and no suggestions ...

anything that makes your toes tingle is my best answer ...

otherwise.. i dont understand the scope of your question ... its just so all encompassing ....

ken

• Gwen_41
    12 years ago

Grassboro, I am too interested in knowing which companion plants would work great with dwarf yaupon holly bordeaux. I am using them as a foundation plant and the area is full sun. Ken, I hope you can assist. Any suggestions..I was thinking about planting a canna and other sun loving plants.... I live in Mississippi. Zone 8

Thanks,
    Gwen

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

Gwen;

Being on the Gulf Coast I would suggest going with something that will tolerate lots of heat and humidity. Will also need to tolerate quite a bit of rain.

Maybe some wandering jews and marigolds?

• Gwendolyn41
    12 years ago

Thank you, jcalhoun. I am not able to locate those shrubs here Dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux....Do you know if they can be purchase in your area?

Thanks,

Gwen

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

They are not shrubs. Marigolds are orange/yellow flowers and wandering jews (purple queen?) are a purple/green succulent. They look good along the borders and edges of srubs and flower beds.

Both can be forund at Home Depot and Lowes.

• grassboro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ended up using Liriope Big Blue and Nandina Flirt in front of the Yaupon Holly Bordeaux. I used a Dee Runk boxwood to the side of these to replace and old overgrown cypress. I am happy with these selections and they are growing fine so far. The nursery I get these from tend to carry unique plants that I can't find elsewhere. I was just looking at Taylor's Rudolph Yaupon Holly today since I need another for the other side of my foundation border. It has very nice foliage and has berries but the berries tend to sit down in the foliage. Yaupon Holly should work well in your zone.

• Donna
    12 years ago

You read my mind! As I was reading the thread, I was going to recommend Flirt. I grow four different dwarf Nandinas, and Flirt is my favorite. Even in the heat of summer it still has some of that beautiful red/pink color in it, and in winter it's really lovely. If you wanted to play up the red even more, you might consider adding some clumps of pink zephyranthes grandiflora in between the liriope. They will come up and bloom in the summer and go completely dormant in winter. Dead easy to grow in the south.

• mhogan23
    12 months ago

Thank you! Do you have a pic of the liriope, nandina and yaupon holly? Also, curious how much sun your area gets?