Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion plants for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux

Posted by grassboro NC 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 22:20

I am looking for companion plant recommendations for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux that I plan on using in foundation plantings in the front of my house. They will get west sun from noon to mid afternoon. Looking for something smaller that could go in front of them as well as something that could go along side of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion plants for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux

5 days and no suggestions ...

anything that makes your toes tingle is my best answer ...

otherwise.. i dont understand the scope of your question ... its just so all encompassing ....

ken

o

Grassboro, I am too interested in knowing which companion plants would work great with dwarf yaupon holly bordeaux. I am using them as a foundation plant and the area is full sun. Ken, I hope you can assist. Any suggestions..I was thinking about planting a canna and other sun loving plants.... I live in Mississippi. Zone 8

Thanks,
Gwen

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 13:18

Gwen;

Being on the Gulf Coast I would suggest going with something that will tolerate lots of heat and humidity. Will also need to tolerate quite a bit of rain.

Maybe some wandering jews and marigolds?

o

Thank you, jcalhoun. I am not able to locate those shrubs here Dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux....Do you know if they can be purchase in your area?

Thanks,

Gwen

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 16:08

They are not shrubs. Marigolds are orange/yellow flowers and wandering jews (purple queen?) are a purple/green succulent. They look good along the borders and edges of srubs and flower beds.

Both can be forund at Home Depot and Lowes.

o

I ended up using Liriope Big Blue and Nandina Flirt in front of the Yaupon Holly Bordeaux. I used a Dee Runk boxwood to the side of these to replace and old overgrown cypress. I am happy with these selections and they are growing fine so far. The nursery I get these from tend to carry unique plants that I can't find elsewhere. I was just looking at Taylor's Rudolph Yaupon Holly today since I need another for the other side of my foundation border. It has very nice foliage and has berries but the berries tend to sit down in the foliage. Yaupon Holly should work well in your zone.

o

You read my mind! As I was reading the thread, I was going to recommend Flirt. I grow four different dwarf Nandinas, and Flirt is my favorite. Even in the heat of summer it still has some of that beautiful red/pink color in it, and in winter it's really lovely. If you wanted to play up the red even more, you might consider adding some clumps of pink zephyranthes grandiflora in between the liriope. They will come up and bloom in the summer and go completely dormant in winter. Dead easy to grow in the south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here