Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Cotinus Royal Purple vs Velvet Cloak

greenhavenrdgarden
11 years ago

I want to plant a Smoke Bush but can not decide between RP or VC. I'm thinking I might try both. I have 2 spots ready: one as a speciman and one in a mixed border. Out of the two which would make a better speciman shrub and which would be better in a shrub border? What are the difference between the two varieties. Does anyone prefer one to the other? Does one need more sunlight than the other? Even though they are full sun plants, can one make due with part sun. The speciman position would be in one of the few full sun spots I have in my yard and the border position is part sun. Will this matter much? I've ruled out Grace (although the color is devine) bc she becomes too tree-like. I'm looking more for shrubs right now. Can anyone give me their opinions on the different varieties? I've spent hours googling but Im still unsure.

Also, I'm planting a Golden Spirit. Is this one ok in full sun? The spot I have would be near my sedum garden that has leaner soil (deliberately so I can amend and add more OM if needed). Will this be ok?

Thanks in advance. I always like to read real gardeners opinions before I plant. I live in CT-zone 6-on the line between A&B.

Comments (4)