Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I tie up/support my 8' tall upright boxwoods?

Posted by donnaroe 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 23:06

These upright boxwoods were 18" tall when I purchased them 20 years ago. They are in an area in our yard which has been sadly neglected. They are now around 8'-10' tall and are in need of being tied up. I could use some help with how to go about doing this. I know that I have to put the rope into a piece of hose, or something that will protect the trunks. There are multiple trunks to gather together. How far apart shall I gather them? I don't know where to start. Should I prune some foliage away? Or, is this a plant that should be left alone, and just supported? I am surprised there is no snow damage, as they get alot of snow piled between the branches when we get a good snow. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I tie up/support my 8' tall upright boxwoods?

• Posted by conon 6b, Southern, IN (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 23:44

Post some photos please.

o

hi

its time for REJUVENATION PRUNING ...

rather than tying them up ..

see link ... after you read thru a few.. you ought to get the idea ... and can come back with more specific questions ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

hi donnaroe,
I have seen chicken wire cut to size and wrapped around upright plants like taxus, junipers, topiary etc. You might also think about a loosely woven fabric or netting. It will be hidden as the new growth grows through it.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Boxwood Society

o

Thanks, all. I will try to post a photo tomorrow.

o

I finally took some photos of our terribly overgrown boxwoods. Maybe this will help with just how to selectively prune these, and then tie up/support them, so that they keep somewhat of an upright shape. Now they are messy looking. Thanks to anyone who can help, as we really need to so something about this!

Here is a link that might be useful: upright boxwood

o

Another photo

Here is a link that might be useful: upright boxwood

o

Another photo

o

Bumping up, to see if anyone can tell me how much to prune from these boxwoods, and how.

o

Bumping up, to see if anyone can tell me how much to prune from these boxwoods, and how.

o

donnaroe, I completely misunderstood your initial post. I thought that you were asking about upright, fastigiate or columnar boxwood.
Now that you have posted a pic it looks like you have American Box doing what American Box does. We see them often around large federal buildings and college campuses. This is not the dward English or edgeing box.
ps, the leaves are opposite, not alternate right?

o

Thank you, sam, for answering. I just went and looked, and yes the leaves are opposite, not alternate. Gosh, you really know your boxwood! I did not know what kind they were. I only know that they were about a foot tall when I bought them over 20 years ago.

So, what do you think we should do with them? If you don't think they need to be pruned, then I would like to go in and clean out the dead leaves that have worked their way into the interior over the years, prune out the very few pieces of branches that are brown, and then tie them in a few places to give them a more tidy look. If you think this is a good plan, should I cut some garden hose, and then put some sort of roping inside of that to protect the bark and support them this way? What type of rope/cord should I use which won't degrade in the weather?

o

Never had a boxwood but to me they look beautiful. Nature is doing a great job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here