Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overgrown boxwoods... pruning advice, please

Posted by txcathy7b8a Ft. Worth area (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 9, 06 at 23:13

My son and his wife just moved. They have a row of boxwoods that are about 5 ft. tall, growing along the front porch. The goal is to be able to sit on the front porch and see something besides that wall of boxwood hedge. How hard can they prune these shrubs without killing them? Can they take them down to 3ft? This would leave the top of the hedge bare. Will boxwoods fill in with new growth? The boxwoods are at least 30 years old and are currently well shaped as a squared off hedge. The boxwoods are growing in an east exposure in Ft. Worth, Texas. Zone 7b/8a.

I appreciate any guidance you can give me because they asked me for advice and I don't know anything about boxwoods.

Thanks,
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overgrown boxwoods... pruning advice, please

Hello Cathy,

yes they can bring them back to 3 feet , no problem.
do that when it's not to hot , it's better for the plants .
they will re -grow, but the more you cut-off , the longer it will take . it's better not to cut in the very old wood .
if my english was better , i could explain it better.
all the best ,

Wim , the boxwood collector

o

I am facing this problem myself. My own fault, I'm afraid; I've lived here 33 years and basically ignored them all that time. I was afraid that if I started to shear them immediately I'd be dealing with hollow interiors, so I chose to start trying to first thicken them up by removing selective branches from WITHIN, to let in light and air. After doing this off and on for two years I feel ready to do some major cutting back now; I am optimistic that it will work.

o

Here's a pruning article

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here