Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick, yellow skimmia

Posted by flash_garden Oregon, zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 0:48

Need some help. Planted these skimmia a year ago. North facing, as you can see against a brick porch. Decent soil, but also plenty of clay that is common in the Portland area. Planted them in the fall. Not long after they started turning yellow from the leaf edges in, and then they started dropping.

They made it thru this spring, but only one showed any reasonable growth. Lost one of the four. Have a replacement, but don't want to put it in the ground yet until I can figure out -- and hopefully resolve -- the problem. I have looked at it and don't see any bugs on it.

Any ideas of what is causing the yellowing and how to get these things growing and vibrant? I have a mix of male and female.

Thanks for your help

This post was edited by flash_garden on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 0:49

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick, yellow skimmia

North facing is good as they like shade to partial shade. But what is your soil? Clay won't hurt them but Skimmias do prefer slightly acidic soil. Even if your soil is acidic is it possible the house foundations are causing limey patches near the base of the walls where these shrubs are planted?

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 10:33

o
RE: Sick, yellow skimmia

I'd go with improper soil pH as well. And they may also have mite issues.........skimmia are extremely prone to mites if at all stressed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here