Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forestedstreams123

euonymous during drought

forestedstreams123
12 years ago

Hi all, I am a new member. My wife and I love to garden and have enjoyed planting lots of new trees / shrubs / flowers at our new home the past 4 years. One species we planted is euonymous, 5 shrubs at the top of a short rocky slope next to a road for color. They have not grown nearly as fast as I had hoped and are only about 2 or 2 1/2 tall and wide. I think I might have the dwarf variety by mistake.

My question: does anyone has experience with euonymous surviving a drought like we are now experiencing? I don't ever remember seeing 105 to 108 degrees in central PA during the 17 years we have lived here. I watered them a few times in June / July before the drought, and have watered 3 or 4 times in the past 10 days (a couple of gallons slowly on each bush each time). In the past week especially, almost all of the leaves turned pale tan or pink and fell off. The stems are still striped green and brown, so I am just wondering if this means they will likely survive? Is it necessary to continue watering if there are no leaves?

Thanks for any tips!

Comments (6)