Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Help with an ID

kudzu9
12 years ago

I live in the Seattle area and I was walking tonight and saw a mature bush that was probably 8' X 8', very dense foliage, and multiple trunks in the center about 1" in diameter each. The striking feature was that the bush was just loaded with cascades of pretty, white flowers. I plucked one so I could take a picture. Can someone tell me what this stunning bush is, please.

{{gwi:266671}}

Comments (20)

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Deutzia scabra

Here is a link that might be useful: Deutzia scabra

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

D. scabra 'Plena'. Prevalent in plantings of some age but not a regular item at outlets.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both...I doubt that I would have been able to figure that one out without your help.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Not difficult from cuttings if you can't find one to buy.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flora-
    Thanks for the tip...what a great idea! I did research its availability online and it is hard to find.
    Do you have a suggestion on timing? It's in full bloom right now. Should I wait until fall or take a cutting now?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Garden centers stock other kinds of deutzias, maybe you don't need this rather large-growing one.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually. I live on over an acre, so plant size is not an issue.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone have a tip on the best time to take cuttings from this plant?

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Sorry - can't really help you, not knowing your climate. Over here I'd do it any time I could get hardwood cuttings. Now would be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardwood cuttings

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Climate...well, I'm in the Seattle area, which is coastal, Pacific NW, Zone 8B, which means it's about 70F in the day, 55F at night, this time of year; it's partly cloudy often. I'm just starting to get apples to mature on my trees, and the deciduous trees still have all their leaves and the maples have not turned color. The rainy season will begin in a month. It will be above freezing most of the winter except for a few days that might get down to 20-30F. So, does that affect your advice on when to take cuttings?

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I believe PNW is about as close to a UK climate as it gets in the US, so you'd probably be fine following the RHS advice I linked to. As I said, I'd do them any time of year but autumn is supposed to be best. Conditions here sound pretty much identical to Seattle at the moment. Really, Deutzia is VERY easy. Just do plenty of cuttings and you're sure to have success.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks...I'm off to take some cuttings!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

If it is not your plant, and is on private property, I hope you will ask permission first.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

purpleinopp-
    I generally agree with your position, but this one looks like a neglected orphan that's spilling over onto the public sidewalk between a 7-11 parking lot and a big apartment building. So, I won't feel too guilty if I take a couple of 6" twigs. Somebody actually should give it a good pruning.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Sounds great! Good luck :+)

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

purpleinopp-
    Thanks. I'll post back in a few weeks about my success (or lack thereof) in rooting the cuttings.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Good luck with the project kudzu - however, a couple of points....

To obtain 6 - 12 inch cuttings you need to cut longer pieces because you don't want the soft tips. (Look at the info in my link.

Also there will nothing to report back in a few weeks - you need to wait a few months. Look out for new growth next spring and try to resist the temptation to pull them up and look! Plant, protect from animals and then forget is the technique.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flora-
    Thanks. I did take cuttings that were about 12-14 inches, and there are plenty of leaf pairs, so I think they'll be long enough even after I take off the tips. And I plan to overwinter them in my greenhouse.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

No, need for the greenhouse, kudzu. Just do like it says in the link. No babying required. Put them outside. Far easier and less likely to have watering and premature growth issues. They are totally hardy and would do much better in the fresh air where they will react appropriately to the weather and temperatures. When I said protect I mean just a bit of wire netting or something if you have rabbits or the like.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flora-
    Ok...thanks again.