Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting a Disanthus cercidifolius in a planter.

Posted by ledouchebag none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 3:04

HI all,

I have a Disanthus cercidifolius I really want in a particular spot. The spot is nice, however, it pretty much has about an inch of topsoil and the rest is just clay, and I mean thick clay. I've read there a two options: building a mound or a planter box. The planter box looks the most sensible since the mound would have to be quite large to rise above ground level and the clay. My main concern, however, with planter boxes is mainly to do with drainage and its relation to the the size of the box since it will still have clay at the bottom. I guess my biggest fear is that the planter will be too small and in the long term the shrub will just become root bound in the planter itself. By that, I mean, where the planter soil hits the clay, won't it keep the roots that eventually make it down there waterlogged and unable to breach the clay? Is this a risk or do the roots generally not behave this way and stay near the top of the planter? So, generally, if the box is big enough drainage is not an issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting a Disanthus cercidifolius in a planter.

Disanthus cercidifolius is a vigorous and quite rapidly growing shrub, so you're right to be concerned about long term life in any sort of container. All in all, your probably better off creating - and it is a lot of work - a large planting bed on top of the clay. Before embarking on this project, it would be worthwhile to check how well the clay drains and its overall fertility. Not all clay is impermeable to water and/or totally lacking in nutrients. Stone or logs can be used as edging for the bed which ought to be between 9 and 12 inches deep. Once its created, keep in mind that soil fauna and microbes will begin to alter the interface between the improved layer and the original clay, thereby improving drainage.

o
RE: Putting a Disanthus cercidifolius in a planter.

see link regarding clay soil ... work above yours ...

the only problems with clay.. is digging in it.. and water management ... do keep in mind.. every plant that is grown and ball and burlapped.. is grown in clay ... else they couldnt dig a ball of soil ... but they know how to deal with such ....

the whole pot thing is just complicating it all.. IMHO ...

as per link.. plant the root mass half in the clay .. half with new soil above.. and let it figure out.. where to put its roots.. and it will .. eventually.. put them into the clay ... the mound gives us.. leeway.. to get a plant past transplant shock and establish itself ....

i hope you are planning on a fall planting.. rather than august. ... which isnt very conducive for most of the country ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here