Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ninebark standard (tree form)

Posted by kathym z5MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 7:03

Has anyone tried the standard form of Ninebark 'Diablo'? I need a small tree for my patio area and this one is supposed to only get eight to ten feet tall and just as wide. One of the trees at the nursery already shows its propensity to sucker. I would like to know if there are any downsides to growing this shrub trained as a tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ninebark standard (tree form)

I think you'd be fighting suckers constantly.

o

Thanks for the response. Does ninebark sucker along the length of its roots? My other option would be to plant a small crabapple. These also sucker, some at the base of the trunk and some along the length of their roots. I was considering the ninebark because it's more attractive and crabapples seem to have problems with disease, even the ones that are supposed to be resistant to them.

o

How small a tree are you looking for? A crab would get much taller than 8-10 feet, but if you're looking for something in the 20-25 foot range, you'd have a lot of choices. A tree I often recommend for a patio is the Sweetbay Magnolia, M. virginiana--open, airy, and with a fabulous, soft fragrance when in bloom. I prefer multi-stemmed ones to the single. It's also possible to prune some Viburnums into somewhat tree-like shapes. V. lantana 'Mohican' and V. 'Allegheny' would be multi-stemmed, and could be 'limbed up' to make a 10-12 foot small tree. Some of the V. dilatatums might work this way too--'Erie' and 'Michael Dodge' for example.

o

I bought a standard diablo ninebark this spring. Really happy with it so far because its colour really stands out...like a shubert chokecherry without the large size, also more interesting shaped leaves and nice flowers and berries. There is no sign of suckering yet but maybe I'll find that to be a problem in a year or two. I think I'll just diligently snip them off at ground level if they do appear. I'm hoping that it will make it through the winter well. My ninebark shrubs always do so I assume this will as well.
Nelda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here