Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for fast growing privacy shrubs

Posted by lamby4zack 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 8:37

A new neighbor from CT just moved in to a mature 20 yr old NC neighborhood and on day one cut ALL of the privacy trees down and wood chipped them between properties without checking the personality of the neighborhood. All have same barriers as privacy. Needless to say, we can see 4 houses that we could never see in the 13 yrs that we have lived here. We need to get some "fast growing" shrubs (fairly tall 20ft) hopefully that won't need too much attention (we are 73 and not getting any younger) but also will give us our privacy back before we go to the big garden in the sky. PS Apparently, she is planning to leave all of the 2 ft high, 80ft long pile of wood chips and stumps on property as she had them piled in a long burm (sp). Did I mention that there were 12 large trees? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for fast growing privacy shrubs

I find that sweet bay magnolia is fast growing but not evergreen. Leyland cypress but that is not a good tree. Best thing to do is spend the $$$ and get some already fairly large shrubs and mix in with evergreen. What a shame! and I know the feeling of not having the time to wait for things to grow !!!! I also think some Viburnums grow pretty quickly. I know there are many more and others will chime in

o

Shadeyplace Thanks for response. A good number of other trees in this 500 home development are the Leyland Cypress trees. Maybe not a good tree, but sure look nice and provide the privacy that we crave. We are continuing to look for something fast growing as the mess that still lays in neighbors lawn is just that "a mess" .

o

I'm looking for the same thing so I'm hoping you get a lot of responses on your post :) Out of curiosity why are Leyland Cypress not good trees?

o

They are usually planted for the purpose you are speaking of...instant privacy. However, they grow to be 100 feet tall and their root system cannot support their height and tend to make them blow over in high winds. Also once they attain a height of 50 feet or so their lower branches tend to drop and then you are right back looking at your neighbor's yard. I believe they have been over planted..but I am sure others (Dax?) can give you better information.

o

OK, If not Leyland Cypress what can be used to do the same thing?

o

Why would your new neighbor need to check on any personality before cutting down her trees? Just because YOU were using them for privacy doesn't mean that maybe she wants to grow a vegetable garden and needs full sun.

o

Why would your new neighbor need to check on any personality before cutting down her trees?
OUT OF COMMON COURTESY

o

You were right, I was wrong

o

Planted 13 Leyland Cypress trees

o

I am in NC too and have been researching trees and shrubs for similar privacy reasons, except we just moved in and want more privacy. Thuja Green Giants seem to be a good fast growing option. A lot if the Leyland Cypress around here seem to be dying.

This post was edited by NVL4 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 10:43

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here