Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viburnum disease - wilting leaves

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 8:59

Something's wrong with one of my viburnums. On about 1/3 of the shrub, the leaves are wilting and dying. The leaves on the rest of the shrub look just fine. I can't find any spots or anything on the wilting leaves which are curling under and now getting pretty dry. The branches with the leaves that are wilting all go back to the same "trunk" which I assume I need to prune out. ???
I have several other viburnums and I'm hoping this isn't something that could spread. My sick one is a 'Mohawk' that I planted about five years ago. There's another Mohawk planted about 8 feet away and a viburnum Aurora planted about 8 feet away in the other direction.
I'm in Missouri and we don't have viburnum leaf beetles here yet nor do I see any signs of them.
It may have been stressed from a very dry winter. Otherwise it looked pretty healthy until last week when it started wilting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viburnum disease - wilting leaves

The symptoms you describe sound a lot like verticillium wilt, and viburnums are among the many many plants that are susceptible to it. There is little you can do except prune away all the affected limbs, keep it watered and fed, and hope for the best.

My smokebush was diagnosed with verticillium three years ago. It began to do just what your Mohawk is doing now. I thought I would have to remove it, but decided to wait. Now, I'm still not sure verticillium was the real problem because my smokebush rebounded and is beautiful now, but I've read that attacks of this disease can comeout of nowhere with years in between. After three years, I watch that shrub like a hawk looking for signs of wilt.

Good luck. It's a heartbreaker, that disease.

o

I lost a tulip tree to that a few years ago but the whole tree wilted and died within a few days. This is only affecting part of the shrub so I assumed it was something different. I'll read up on it some more. It's encouraging to hear that your smokebush is still alive. Thank you.

o

I"m told that curling leaves on my Mohowk (which by the way, my neighbors also get on this cultivar) are due to spider mites or aphids. Not serious if this is your problem. Insecticidal soaps should help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here