Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune NineBark

Posted by bethhb 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 8:59

Some of my Diablo and Summer wine nine barks are very tall but rather "thin". I have been reading that Ninebarks should be pruned which I didn't know, they are so lovely in there arching wildness. Yearly I do cut out anything dead or broken, but I haven't "shaped" them or cut out live branches.

My question is if I prune these thin shrubs will it increase their volume - number of stems coming from the base? If so, how do I prune? Do I prune the tips of the branches and make them shorter? Or cut out branches?
Please note - these shrubs are in a difficult site and I need to help them all that I can. Thanks for as detailed advice as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune NineBark

see link about rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs ...

good luck ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

how long have they been there? why are they "thin"? are they getting sun and nutrients?

My Diablo gets better and better each year. I've had it 10 years now and its great. I've never pruned to shape it. just dead stuff. In its early years, I was not overly impressed. Love it now.

It would help if we could see a picture.

a top dressing of compost might help too.

I personally would not cut back any existing stems partway. Yes, that may stimulate new growth, but it will change the growth habit. I guess it also depends if you want that arching look or a bushy look. A bushy look could be nice too, just preference I guess.

o

my guess is.. with the older ones.. the other trees have shaded them ... over the decades.. and now.. a full sun shrub is reaching out for more light ...

and they may struggle.. even with full and proper renovation ... struggle in the sense of looking like a well grown specimen ... its not usual that they would die outright ... [unless the shade is from norway maples.. lol] .... its just that they may not perform to expectation ... and no fert is going to change improper sun ...

who knows.. as noted.. need pic

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here